Thursday 24 September 2015

Srilankan Pol Roti | Coconut Roti From Sri Lanka

For the fifth day of Breakfast across Countries, I am doing another flabread from our neighboring country, Srilanka.Though I haven't read much on the country's cuisine, from what I have seen on the blogs, I assume it to be closly related to our South Indian cuisines.

While I am open to try new cuisines, taking chance on making just these without a backup plan, makes it hard to proceed. Also after continuous cooking with All purpose flour, Amma was against me making another dish with it. I had to drop my other plans and decided to make this, seeing Priya using wheat flour. 

This is yet another recipe from Priya Srinivasan. I had checked other versions online. All of them used All purpose flour, with coconut milk. Since I had to avoid the flour, I too resorted to wheat flour, while using milk. I am sure the flour with the coconut milk and grated coconut, would have made a delicious treat. Someday it will be done and I am hoping I will update the pictures then.

Until then enjoy these Pol rotis made with Wheat flour.

The Srilankan Pol Roti is served with a relish made of crushed chili with maldive fish. The rotis are made with all purpose flour, kneaded using coconut milk. Atleast to know how it tastes, I recommend making it with flour and coconut milk, atleast once!



Srilankan Pol Roti

Ingredients Needed:
Makes - 8 medium size rotis

Wheat flour - 2 cups
Freshly grated coconut - 1 & 1/2 cup
Green chili, chopped fine - 3 medium
Onion, finely chopped - 1 medium
Coconut milk or Normal milk or water - as required (I used about 1 cup approx)
Oil while kneading the dough - 2 tsp
Oil for cooking the roti.
Salt to taste
All purpose flour for dusting

How to make the rotis

Take flour, coconut, green chili, onions and salt together in a wide bowl. Mix well and then slowly add the milk to knead to a soft dough.

Once the dough comes together, add oil and then continue kneading for 10 mins. Let it rest for 30 mins.

Heat a tawa and grease with oil. Divide the dough into equal balls and dust with flour and roll out into discs of 6" diameter. 

Cook the rolled dough on hot tawa both sides until spots come on the sides. Drizzle some oil on it and remove when done.

Serve with a spicy relish




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management