Sunday 6 October 2013

Urullai Curry | Potato Curry ~ Side dish for Rice


There is nothing like a challenge that motivates me. As if life is not hectic already, there is another thing to add spice to the whole thing. After having so many cookbooks, filed paper clippings, I thought I should browse through them more than anything else. My collection is about 3 huge files, two draw full of cookbooks, and about 4 hand written dairies.



This led the new event Cooking from Cookbook Challenge.



I am lucky in having friends, who not only motivate me, appreciate my madness, but join my ventures as well. So when I announced this challenge, I had a ready group who were as enthusiastic as I was on this theme.



The theme is very simple. Atleast for the initial stage, we are only going to cook offline content and stuff the net with more information.



So it can be cookbooks, paper clippings, hand written recipes, recipes passed from generations, anything and everything, only condition being it's not available online.






Of course there is a chance that some content might be available, but finding that and crosschecking is not the objective of this event. We simply go by what we have stored over years!



In fact some wanted to know if they can do recipes showed in the Cookery shows, of course many cookery shows have their content online. I guess we can go by the intent than actual content here.



Anyway for the first edition I had planned for something different. But with things not working as planned, I had to end up making this simple curry for lunch.



Check the Cooking from Cookbook Challenge and join us if you are interested.





For the first edition, this is a typical side dish made with Tamarind rice, from a paper clipping dated a decade back.




Urullai Curry | Potato Curry



Potato - 5 medium

Onion - 1 big

Curry leaves handful

Hing a pinch

Mustard Seeds, Urad dal - 1 tsp

Tomato, chopped - 1/2 cup

Tamarind extract - 2 tbsp

Salt to taste

Oil - 2 tsp

Red chili powder - 3/4 tsp

Coriander powder - 3/4 tsp

Turmeric powder a pinch



How to make Urullai curry



Wash and slash the potatoes, MW for 10 mins. Soak and peel the skin off.



In a non stick pan, add oil, temper with curry leaves, mustard seeds, urad dal, hing, saute well.



Then add finely chopped onion julienne, cook till the onions turn colour. Add the tomato pieces, salt and turmeric. Simmer and cook till the tomato is cooked well and soft.



Now add the tamarind extract, red chili powder, coriander powder, continue cooking for 5 mins.



Add the cooked potatoes, mash well. Add 1/2 water and bring to boil.



Switch off and remove when the potato is mixed well.





Check the Cooking from Cookbook Challenge page for details of other bloggers doing this with me this month.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management