Sunday 17 September 2017

Orange Sandesh | How to make Komal Sandesh

Orange Sandesh is my choice for O in the A to Z Bengali Sweet Series. I was not able to find any other dish for O and this was listed in the google book. There is another dish made with Oranges, popularly known as Komala Bhog. Komala Bhog is Orange flavoured Rasgullas. I was almost tempted to make that as well. However, as I had made a Kesariya Rasgulla, I didn’t want to take this up. Also, a Komal Sandesh but since I was keen on Khirkadam for K, I decided to use it as Orange for O. I got fresh Australian Oranges to make this dish, as it’s not the season for the regular oranges at the time I was making it.

I also read some recipes that used Orange extract which seems to be a tedious process to make at home, involving vodka. When we went shopping to get the chocolates, I decided to get Orange essence, I made a mistake and got this in the wholesale shop, where a small quantity was not available. Since there was not enough time to shop again, I bought that and now I feel I need to make more orange dishes to use up that essence. Some even suggested making this Sandesh with orange juice. I decided I will go my way and cooked the paneer as Noram paak, by adding fresh orange segments and a tiny drop of orange colour.

I used an Orange mold that I borrowed from Veena and set it in the fridge to chill for a while and finally garnished it with orange segments and nuts. I saved one piece to layer the Tricolour Fruit Sandesh, where I used this for the saffron layer of the Indian Flag.

This Orange Sandesh was part of the huge chhana batch I kneaded.  We have finally reached half of the list as today is the Day 15 or 15 dishes done!

How to Make Soft Homemade Chhana for Bengali Sweets

How to Knead Chhana for Soft Bengali Sweets

In this A to Z Bengali Sweets for Protein Rich dishes:

A for Aam Sandesh
B for Bhapa Sandesh
C for Channar Puli
D for Danadar
E for Elixir Sandesh
F for Fruit Sandesh
G for Gajarer Sandesh
H for Hot Chocolate Sandesh Truffle
I for Ice Cream Sandesh
J for Jilapi
K for Khirkadam
L for Lyangcha
M for Malai Sandesh
N for Nikhuti Payesh

Step By Step Pictures for making soft Chhana for Bengali Sweets

Step by Step Pictures for kneading the chhana to a soft texture.

Step by Step Pictures for making Orange Sandesh

Orange Sandosh | How to make Komal Sandesh

Ingredients Needed:

For Orange Sandesh

1 cup Paneer / Chhana / Cottage Cheese
1/ 2 cup Sugar powdered
Few drops Orange Essence
1/ 4 cup Orange segments

For The Garnish

1 / 4 cup Mixed Nuts
Few Orange segments

How to make Orange Sandesh

Make soft paneer or chhana at home. If you are making just this, you can simply use 250 ml Milk to get about 6 pieces. Or as I did, you can make a large portion of chhana and make different Bengali Sweets.
Once the fresh chhana is cooked, let it drain and then knead it really soft to get fine chhana grains.
As with all Noram Paak, I first kneaded the chhana well, add half of the sugar I was using first in the plate and then gently cooked the fresh chhana with rest of the sugar on medium heat.
Since I was using citrus fruit, I had to ensure the paneer doesn’t turn crumbly or overcooked.
So when you cook with all the sugar, ensure you quickly mix it, finally add the fresh orange segment and mash it well with the ladle for the segments to get mixed well.
Finally, add the orange essence and orange colour.
Remove to the molds, shape them and set it in the fridge to set.
Just before serving, garnish with fresh orange segments and mixed nuts.

Orange Sandosh | How to make Komal Sandesh
Orange Sandesh is prepared with fresh orange segments in a soft paneer and cooked to a Noram Paak. This Bengali Sweeet tastes full of orange goodness.
Servings6 pieces
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time10 minutes
Ingredients
For Orange Sandesh
For The Garnish
Instructions
  1. Make soft paneer or chhana at home. If you are making just this, you can simply use 250 ml to get about 6 pieces. Or as I did, you can make a large portion of chhana and make different Bengali Sweets.
  2. Once the fresh chhana is cooked, let it drain and then knead it really soft to get fine chhana grains.
  3. As with all Noram Paak, I first kneaded the chhana well, add half of the sugar I was using first in the plate and then gently cooked the fresh chhana with rest of the sugar on medium heat.
  4. Since I was using citrus fruit, I had to ensure the paneer doesn’t turn crumbly or overcooked.
  5. So when you cook with all the sugar, ensure you quickly mix it, finally add the fresh orange segment and mash it well with the ladle for the segments to get mixed well.
  6. Finally, add the orange essence and orange colour.
  7. Remove to the molds, shape them and set it in the fridge to set.
  8. Just before serving, garnish with fresh orange segments and mixed nuts.
BMLogo

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 80

 Loading InLinkz ...

The post Orange Sandesh | How to make Komal Sandesh appeared first on Spice your Life!.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management