Sunday 23 July 2017

SNIPPEATS JULY 2017: New Brighton restaurant openings, tours, news, events and reviews

It has been a busy few weeks for Brighton food; plenty of new openings and some great events. I feel I've been doing nothing but racing around with a fork in hand (nope, it's not just Joey that does that). Plus I celebrated my Birthday, which means even more indulgence than normal, if that is even possible. Here's a little round up of what's been going on.


Pascere
There have been a few new restaurant openings but I suppose one of the most eagerly anticipated one was Pascere (rhymes with "sincere" - you're welcome). The press launch was fun and I think gave us a good taste for what it is all about. As well as looking gorgeous, the food feedback so far has been really good. Heading up the kitchen is Johnny Stanford (another migrant from South Lodge Hotel joining us in Brighton along with Matt Gillan at Pike & Pine and Steven Edwards at Etch.). The pan fried lamb sweetbreads and the pea custard have been  frequently cropping up on my social feeds and I'll 100% be ordering the buttermilk sponge if they still have it on.

It could also prove to be a strong contender for the best Brunch in Brighton too.

http://ift.tt/2gUth0S


Petit Pois
Brighton was in much need of a French bistro and particularly one that celebrates the classics like duck rillettes, snails in garlic butter and frog leg goujons. They bring with it a small plate sharing format and a smart, yet softly rustic interior. Petit Pois is run by husband and wife team, David and Ivana Roy, who both hail from Riddle and Finns. I have a good feeling about this one too.



10 Radius
Brand new to the thriving supper club market is 10 Radius. What sets them apart is that their key ingredients all come from within 10 miles of Brighton. Luckily for them we have the sea and a bounty of incredible food and drink produce within that area. Chef Leslie Nkansah brings with him an impressive CV and a boundless enthusiasm for celebrating the best of Sussex with his own flair and style. I was lucky enough to head down to the launch night and although the first week-long event has ended, you can keep up to date with the next ones via http://10radius.co.uk/

Brighton & Hove Food and Drink Festival Trade Sussex Bus Tour
It was a gorgeous day to board the bus for a trip around Sussex visiting some key farms (in my wholly unsuitable footwear) and of course, a stop off at one of my favourite vineyards, Ridgeview. We were also treated to a BBQ at Jeremy's restaurant which featured Trenchmore beef, Dingley Dell pork, lush vegetables and fruit from Watts Farm and Gelato from Brighton's Boho Gelato. Stalls from local producers lined the gardens to keep our glasses filled and reminded us of how lucky we are to have Sussex on the doorstep.

And it was just really lovely catching up with all the restaurant owners, producers and food writers too.

The Autumn Brighton Food & Drink Festival is just around the corner and I'll be writing about the highlights soon - So many unmissable dinners and events! http://ift.tt/1853dzb



The Brighton Wine Tour
I'm not adverse to being a Guinea pig for a trial, particularly if that trial involves wine. The brilliant Brighton Food Tours have teamed up with The Rebel Sommeliers for a relaxed wine tasting across Brighton, stopping off at various key points for a glass of the good stuff and some nibbles. I much prefer it when wine events become accessible, whilst still being informative. The range of wines and style of venues they offered were really enjoyable and I think it will be a cracking tour. You'll be able to book these from the end of September via http://ift.tt/2aWxaN7


As you can see from my social feeds, I have been dining out a fair bit this month but the highlights go to Cin Cin and 64 Degrees. Cin Cin wowed myself and my girlfriends with decadent and silky pastas (best in town), summery gazpacho and Parma ham and melon salad washed down with plenty of bubbles and the most gorgeous wines.

For my birthday meal I finally ticked the 64 Degrees Rum Bear off the list and even got a sparkler thrown in for good measure. It had been ages since my last visit but a distinct reminder as to why it still tops the best Brighton restaurant listings. Full review of that one soon.

REVIEWS
I reviewed some great places this month too:


Zona Rosa is a great Mexican neighbourhood restaurant in Kemptown. Full review > http://ift.tt/2eFnvQ5


The Jolly Sportsman Although I didn't have too much success in their sister restaurant, The Jolly Poacher, The Jolly Sportsman proved to be one of the best pub lunches I've ever had. Full review > http://ift.tt/2eFsHn4

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management