Thursday 15 September 2016

Moghlai Aloo | How to make Mughlai Aloo

For the fifth day of making Potato Gravies for the BM Mega Marathon, Cooking Carnival, I have yet another recipe from my recipe collection. This recipe was selected after I decided that I am going with all gravies from the Indian States.

I got this recipe from an online Indian working women group based out of US. I no longer participate actively in the group after the group was moved to FB. While the group was active, they used to share loads of recipes and I used to save those that were from different states. Again I do not have if this is authentic from the Moghlai Cusine. 

However going by the definition of Mughlai, loads of cream and nut paste has gone into the recipe. I naturally can't follow a recipe and had to twist the recipe. I added all the spice powders to the potato marinade and add green chilies as with the cream I was adding the gravy will not be spicy. And I was serving this for my spice loving hubby dear!


So I ended up making a rich gravy that was also spicy. Daddy felt it was spicy and I too felt that in the lingering aftertaste. While Amma and Hubby dear just blinked when I asked. So you need to adjust the spice levels. The gravy as such is fantastic and I even took it for my colleagues, who literally loved every bit of it.

If you are a potato lover and also love gourmet gravies, this is for you! I served it with Parotta and the meal ended up being a rich and high calorie affair.



Moghlai Aloo

Ingredients Needed:

For the Potato Marinade :

Baby Potatoes - 10 to 12 
Fresh Curds / Yogurt - 3/4 cup
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp 
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste

For the gravy

Onions puree - 1 cup
Fresh cream - 1/2 cup
Butter - 1 tbsp 
Green Chillies - 2 small
Kasuri Methi - 1 tsp

To be ground into a paste

Garlic  3 to 4 cloves
Cloves - 4 
Cinnamon - 1" stick
Poppy seeds / Khus Khus - 2 tbs
Ginger - 1" 
Geen chillies - 2 nos

How to make Moghlai Aloo

Wash and soak the poppy seeds in a bowl of water for 15 mins. Then along with rest of the ingredients to be ground, grind to a paste. Grinding Poppy seeds is little tough if you do in a small quantity. That's why I mostly have a ground poppy seed powder ready. 

Wash and soak the baby potatoes in water for 10 mins. Scrub well and pressure cook for 2 whistles. Once the pressure falls down, allow it to cool. Then peel the skin and prick all over the potatoes. Take the potatoes in a bowl, add curds and all the spice powders. Combine everything and keep it aside for an hour. 

Heat the butter in a nonstick pan, add slit green chillies, then add the ground paste, saute well. Cook till the paste turns colour. Then add the marinated aloo along with the spice mix for 5 mins, while stirring. 

Simmer and add a cup of water and bring to boil. Then add the fresh cream and simmer till the gravy thickens. 

Finally, add the Kasuri Methi and serve hot with parathas



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management