Monday 18 July 2016

Vermicelli Vegetable Pulao ~ Easy Lunch Box Recipes for Kids

For the final day of week 3 under BM#66, I am sharing yet another of those Healthy Lunches for Kids. Today's recipe is a twist with your regular Vermicelli Bath with Vegetables and Biryani masala. I called it Pulao as I used all whole spices and it was spicy too.

This was sent only for Konda as my boys won't even look at it. I wish I will soon see those days when they will eat everything! Or as I know some adults who still touching their 30s find it hard to eat vegetables. Anyway, I am an optimistic person!

I already have a couple of similar versions with Vermicelli. It's more like old wine in new bottle types. Tell the kid that it's a new and especially for them, they get so taken in by that. Konda enjoyed it much though she did mention she wished so many vegetables were not in it. Well, more the merry is what I said!

Semiya is mostly made as the regular upma types for breakfast. Chinnu lovers plain semiya assuming it to be same as Hakka noodles. Of course, it is in a way though different. I pack this for him with just salt and pepper with roasted onions that are removed. He actually loves that! I do not know how he can enjoy, he just does and I am not complaining. When I find it hard to pack his breakfast, I resort to this quick dish. I was hoping he will like this pulao version too. But he refused, seeing all that vegetables.

What's different from cooking today's vermicelli from my previous is the cooking method of semiya. I previously used to roast, then add the other ingredients, water, and boil. Finally, add the vermicelli as in Upma. However knowing that kids may find it sticky by afternoon, I have been cooking it first in water, drain, toss some oil and finally add to the fried masala. This way the semiya stays intact and not mushy.

Sending this to my Kids Delight, guest hosted by Pavani, themed on Lunch Box Recipes.

If you are interested you can check how else this Vermicelli can be cooked like the Vermicelli Pulao,

Vermicelli Vegetable Pulao

Ingredients Needed:

Roasted Vermicelli - 1 cup
Water 3 cups

For the masala

Bay Leaf - 1 no
Cloves - 2 nos
Cardamom - 1
Cinnamon - 1”

Mixed Vegetables (Potato, Carrots, Peas, Beans) - 1 cup
Onions sliced - 1 medium
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 / 2 tsp
Green chilies - 2 medium
Turmeric powder a pinch
Garam masala powder - 1 / 2tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste

How to make the Pulao

Roast the vermicelli again for a couple of mins. Remove.

In a pan, bring water to boil, add the vermicelli and cook till done. Takes about 5 mins. Drain over a colander and fluff with drops of oil. Keep it aside. This is to ensure the semiya stays nonsticky

Meanwhile, either microwave the vegetables for 5 mins or parboil in a small pan with little water. Keep it aside.

Heat a nonstick pan with oil, temper with all the whole spices, sauté well. Next add the onions, sauté till browned. Add ginger garlic paste. Add salt, turmeric powder. Sauté well.

Now add the cooked vegetables, give a stir and add the cooked vermicelli. Mix everything well and simmer for a couple of mins.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management