Thursday 14 July 2016

Caprese Panini

 photo DSCN8060_zpswgm7h0dl.jpg

I love to watch shows on the Cooking Channel like Diners, Drive Ins and Dives, and You Gotta Eat Here.  I often take notes and try to replicate what I have seen that sounds pretty delicious.   This channel is a result of that, except that I lost my notes and so I had to try to remember what went into this delicious looking Panini I saw on the show last weekend.   I can't remember where he was eating, but this sandwich looks fabulous and so I tried to make one here at home, with most delicious results!

 photo DSCN8056_zpsk9bepbfu.jpg

They had some brand new soft baguettes at the shops the other day which were perfect for this.  Kind of like long brioche buns!!  Sooooo good!  I know I should be eating whole wheat and I do most of the time, but on this day I did not . . .  oops!

  photo DSCN8057_zps5imzvyhg.jpg

So simple to make.  You just layer everything into the baguette and then close it like a book.  (Make sure  your baguette isn't cut all the way through to the back.)

 photo DSCN8058_zps3grpxppw.jpg

After that you just grill the sandwiches in a panini press or non stick skillet until toasty and golden brown, and nicely crisped on the outside and so that the cheese is melted inside.

  photo DSCN8059_zpsabk96fdv.jpg

Open it up and have a look . . .  mmmm . . .  melted cheese.  Now stog it full of lovely baby green salad leaves!  So colourful and healthy!   Cut it on the diagonal and lunch/dinner is served.   Add a nice salad or some chips on the side for a dinner or just have it on its own for lunch.  Either way, its quite simply delicious!

 photo DSCN8061_zpspm4zh6kx.jpg


*Caprese Panini*
Serves 1

This is a quick and delicious sandwich.  I was watching DD & D and this caught my eye.  I can't even remember the restaurant.  I wrote down what they did, but then lost the paper I wrote it on, so I kinda just made this up, based on what I could remember.  In any case, it is fabulous! 

1 long panini bun
(I used a soft French Stick, about 9 inches long and 2 inches wide)
3 TBS soft goats cheese
1 TBS ready made basil pesto (or to taste)
a small handful of kalamata olives in brine, pitted and then chopped
a handful of artichoke quarters (You can use the roasted ones in oil, and herbs or tinned.  I
used tinned because they are lower in fat, but still delicious)
1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
1 TBS french vinaigrette dressing
3 TBS grated Mozzarella cheese blend
generous handful of baby greens salad leaves mix


 photo DSCN8062_zpsklxjmt7h.jpg

Split your roll in half, not quite all the way through, opening it like a book.  On the bottom half spread the soft goats cheese evenly.  Drizzle with the pesto, and then scatter the kalamata olives over top, along with the artichokes.  Top with a layer of thinly sliced tomatoes. Drizzle these with the french dressing.  Sprinkle the cheese overtop, keeping it from the edges.  Close up the sandwich.

 photo DSCN8063_zps6js4qble.jpg


Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat.  Butter lightly.  Place the sandwich in, top side down at first and pressing lightly down.  Cook for a few minutes, then flip over and cook on the other side, pressing down.  It should be golden brown on both sides and crisp when done.  Remove from the heat to a cutting board.   Pull open and stuff with the salad leaves.  Be generous.  Cut in half on the diagonal and serve to one very lucky person!

 photo DSCN8065_zpsmzoylty1.jpg

Who needs meat in a sandwich!  Not me!   Scrumdiddlyumptious!  Bon Appetit!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management