Tuesday 17 May 2016

Mekitsi | How to make Bulgarian Fried Dough

For the second day of making Bulgarian Dishes, I have a deep fried flatbread called Mekitsi or Bulgarian Fried Dough. I think my country was almost decided when I read about this flatbread. I know one might wonder why to choose something one has already cooked. Sometimes I try certain dishes just to know how similar it tastes and looks.

Mekitsi (Bulgarian Fried Dough) looks and tastes almost same as Tortas Fritas (Fried Bread) from Argentina. The sweet version where powered sugar is sprinkled is almost same except in Bulgarian version, yeast is added and let to ferment.

When I set out to make this, I thought I won't have time to allow fermentation. However things got changed and I finally made it after a long period of fermentation. The final fried bread was tasting little sour with yeast presence and the sweetness of icing sugar was great to indulge in.

Initial idea was to make at least one savory bread as all it requires is to stuff the bread with feta cheese and deep fry. I couldn't do it in the end and only the sugar sprinkled bread was made. I used this recipe to make this version and I only made with 1 cup of flour, with the recipes 3 cups of flour will yield more than what one can handle.
 



Mekitsi (Bulgarian Fried Dough)

Ingredients Needed:

All purpose flour - 3 cups
1 yeast packet or 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast (I used instant yeast)
Warm water - 1/8 cup
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Yogurt / Curds - 1 cup
Oil - 1 tbsp
White vinegar - 1 tbsp
Sugar - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp
Oi for deep frying

How to make Mekitsi

In a wide bowl, add the flour, salt, curds, sugar, soda, oil, vinegar, instant yeast, and mix well. Then slowly add water to knead into a soft dough.

Continue kneading for about 10 minutes.  Put in a glass bowl and let rise for 1 hour.

If you are planning to fry these right away, the dough is ready after an hour of sitting. Else refrigerate until use. Remove and bring it to room temperature before frying.

To deep fry, heat a pan with enough oil. Punch the dough down and make balls, press out discs of about 3-4 inches in diameter.

When the oil is hot, fry on both sides. When both sides are brown, remove from oil and place on a kitchen towel.  For a sweet treat, when cool sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar or powdered sugar or Icing sugar.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management