Tuesday 28 April 2015

Eggless Savoury Bread Pudding

With just one day to go, and a new theme I was rushing to ensure my bake was done on time. The push I got was that Konda had invited her friends home. They were going to stay the whole day and I wanted to ensure I made some extra snacks and lunch for them to enjoy. We were breaking our heads, thinking what to cook. Most of her friends know I blog, which means they get to eat the new dishes I make for them. She tries to take for her friends at school. I say 'try' as most of the time the bakes that end up being chocolate based and get over before we even think about it.

I was giving her different options and she ended up saying she does not want any regular dishes to be made. Since I was the food blogger, I had to arrive at new and exciting dishes her friends can enjoy. I knew it was tall order and take it beyond the scope of getting dishes ready before I leave for work. Finally I decided to bake the Savory Bread Pudding, Calzone, dessert, plus spicy Indian Style Macaroni that Amma said she will make.


Amidst all this confusion, I had my boys after me, saying they want to make their next dish. Well I am not sure what prompted them. On Sunday both got to me and said they wanted to cook a new dish. Peddu said he wanted to make Aloo Potato Fry. He even wrote the recipe down in my handbook. I asked him why the dish was so called and what he meant by Aloo Potato. He said Potato on cooked, becomes Aloo. And this was a secret dish that had a secret ingredient. I was to judge the taste once he cooks it himself. 

Initially he wanted my help, later after I was promoted as the judge, he told Athamma as his partner. This started from morning, I told them that they can cook only after our lunch. So after we all had our lunch, he went in and took his granny's help and made this fry. The secret ingredient if you are not able to guess, is our Krishna Tulsi. The fry was the typical fry, quite crispy and nice and had Italian seasoning and garnished with coriander and Tulsi leaves. Hubby dear did a great job in parsing out the leaves and appreciating the efforts, he even clicked the pictures.  

Seeing his brother cooking, Chinnu wanted his hands at making something with chocolate. He had previously made a fruit salad. so they were competing on who's dish is going to be best. He was also trying to make the same dish that Konda had made some months ago. Lot of things went into the bowl that included milk powder, cocoa, condensed milk, milk etc. I think his idea was to make a molded chocolate. It was too liquidy and won't set. I had to freeze and then molded as min heart chocolates. Yes I had to taste one and give my verdict. It was melting away nice. If you can understand what I mean.




Anyway the dish for the day got served as breakfast and I even took for my lunch. So in sense this does make a great dinner idea. I got inspired by Gayathri and used my Coriander Cumin Bread as the base for this. Since the bread was spicy on it's own, I didn't add any chili spice other than some Red chili flakes and pepper.

The versatility of this dish can be extended to many things. For quick bite with leftover bread, this is wonderful to bake.






Eggless Savoury Bread Pudding

Ingredients Needed:

Coriander Cumin Savory Bread - 2 cups

For the Cream Sauce

Milk - 2 cups
Cheese - 1 cup
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste

For the Spicy Sauce

Onions - 1 cup
Tomatoes - 3/4 cup
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp
Red Chili flakes


How to make the Savory Bread

Saute oil in pan with onions and tomatoes, add salt and Red chili flakes. Cook till the sauce thickens. 

Blend the cheese with milk and season with pepper. Remember the cheese has salt, so adjust accordingly.

Roughly chop the bread into tiny pieces. Add the spicy sauce and mix well. Add more milk as required. Save some cheese sauce for topping and add rest of the cheese sauce to the bread and combine.

In the baking tray, add the bread mix and top it with the saved cheese sauce, sprinkle red chili flakes.

Pre heat the oven at 185 C and bake this for 20 -25 mins.

Serve hot






Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 51


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management