Sunday 8 November 2015

Back to the 70's Chicken Divan

 photo DSCN3975_zpscxu71xb6.jpg

I can remember making this easy casserole back in the 1970's when I was a very young new bride and thinking it was the penultimate in sophistication.  First there was the name, which sounds exotic.   Then there was the broccoli.  I don't know about you, but growing up in the 60's, in Nova Scotia, Canada  . . .  in a small town . . .  broccoli wasn't something we ever saw.  To me Broccoli was an exotic vegetable.

  photo DSCN3976_zpsmpqjtrvd.jpg

To me, back then . . .  this was dinner party or date night fare!  You had meat, a vegetable and a scrummy sauce, all blanketed beneath cheese and buttered cracker crumbs.  What was not to like!  It was easy and delicious!  And I thought, quite impressive!

 photo DSCN3978_zpsepftmjlp.jpg

Nobody thought anything much about using condensed tinned soups back then.   They were in everybody's most people's cupboards.  My kids used to love this.  (It was a great way to get them to eat their broccoli . . .  well this and then there was melting cheeze whiz and pouring it over top, but we won't go there.)

 photo DSCN3980_zpssvxfb9gd.jpg

I still make this from time to time and we still enjoy it.   Only difference is now I am more than likely to make my sauce from scratch.  It's healthier and there are no chemicals or preservatives.  I am also more than likely to use Purple Sprouting Broccoli or Tender Stem Broccoli because I am lucky enough to live in a time and age when those types of things are readily available.

  photo DSCN3982_zpsbkgrfllj.jpg


It tastes rich and it is delicious and it provides just enough nostalgia to make me feel all warm and comfy inside.   I like to serve this with small baked jacket potatoes (for the fibre) and a vegetable.  Yesterday it was green beans.

 photo DSCN3984_zpsvcpb2uuu.jpg

*Back to the 70's Chicken Divan*
Serves 4
This hearkens back to the early days of my cooking life, when I thought this was the ultimate in sophistication.   Maybe it was pretty sophisticated in comparison to my mother's cooking, but it is rather dated now.  That doesn't mean it doesn't still taste delicious.   Only difference now is I make my own sauce instead of using tinned soup.  Super simple and super tasty.


You will need:
2 cups of cooked chicken, cut into chunks
4 cups of broccoli florets, cooked
2 ounces grated cheddar cheese (I like to use strong)
a couple handfuls of crushed cracker crumbs
butter to dot

For the Sauce:
180ml of chicken broth (3/4 cup)
pinch dried thyme
pinch dried sage
pinch dried parsley
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch paprika
salt and black pepper to taste
180ml of milk (3/4 cup)
35g of plain flour (1/4 cup)

 photo DSCN3983_zpsvc0aiaxs.jpg
 
First make the sauce.  Blitze all of the ingredients together in a blender until smooth.  Cook, stirring constantly, in a saucepan over medium heat until the mixture boils and begins to thicken. Cook for several minutes over low heat.  Taste and adjust seasoning as required.  Set aside until needed.

 photo DSCN3985_zpsw8nemgmm.jpg


Preheat the oven to 420*C/425*F/gas mark 7.  Butter a 10 inch glass pie dish.   Stir together the broccoli and the chicken pieces.  Place into the pie dish.  Spread the sauce over top evenly.  Top with the cheese and then the cracker crumbs.   Dot with butter.


  photo DSCN3987_zpslhwaaczd.jpg

Bake for 20 minutes, until hot and bubbling, heated through, the cheese melts and the top is golden brown.   Let stand for five minutes, then spoon out to serve.  Baked potatoes and a vegetable go very well with this.

 photo DSCN3989_zpsulf79qpo.jpg


Calories:  301 per serving
Fat: 12.7g
Carbs:  16g
Protein:  29g



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management