Wednesday 13 December 2017

Curry Roasted Squash

It doesn't get any simpler than this; perfect for a week night dinner if you can afford the wait for it to roast. You could have the squash cut up in the morning which would mean you just have to toss and roast it in the evening, and which would speed up the proceedings ever so slightly.

The big question is what kind of curry powder to use? I used my Madras blend, but Jamaican would work well too. In that case I would think you would need to add hot element for sure! But maybe that's just me. Malaysian is my other curry powder option. You'll note I'm not recommending buying curry powder any more. I used to like it just fine, but they ("they") have fiddled with the formula, and I haven't been able to find any I consider usable, never mind good, for a few years now.

4 servings
1 hour 30 minutes - 15 minutes prep time


1/2 of a medium butternut squash (about 750 grams; 1 1/2 pounds)
2 tablespoons mild vegetable oil
1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
a little hot cayenne or other chile powder, if indicated

Preheat the oven to 350°F. While it heats, cut the squash in half. Remove and discard the seeds and pulp. Peel the squash and cut it into largish bite-sized slices. Put them in a 9" x 13" shallow baking dish, or similar.

Toss the squash with the oil. Spread them out and sprinkle them with the seasonings, toss gently, and spread out again, as close to a single layer as you can get them.

Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes until the squash is tender and browning a little at the edges. 




Last year at this time I made Ham & Leek Quiche.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management