Monday 27 November 2017

Honey, Lemon & Ginger Squash

When I had the idea for this I was a bit nervous. I was afraid it might turn out a bit too reminiscent of  my favourite winter cold treatment. I decided I would go ahead and try it; I really do love that combination of flavours.

I'm happy to report that it works very well as a dish. The flavours are intense, and I would not serve this with just anything - its fellow-dishes must be selected carefully. I can really see this with broiled salmon, but white fish or chicken would be good too. All fairly plainly cooked; this dish won't brook competition. Likewise a fairly plain green vegetable or simple salad would be the best choice; maybe with lemon juice as the acidic element in the dressing.

4 servings
1 hour 45 minutes - 15 minutes prep time

Honey, Lemon & Ginger Squash

600 to 900 grams (1 1/2 to 2 pounds) butternut squash
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
the zest of 1 medium lemon
the juice of 1 medium lemon
1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons honey
salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Cut the butternut squash in half, and scoop out and discard the seeds and stringy bits from the seed cavity. Peel the squash and cut it into pieces for roasting; slices of about 1/2" thick and manageable with a fork. Put them in a shallow roasting pan that will hold them snugly in a single layer.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Put the butter in a small pot or microwaveable bowl. Wash and dry the lemon and grate in the zest. Juice the lemon and add the lemon juice. Peel and grate the ginger and add it. Add the honey. Heat the mixture until the butter is melted, and toss the squash in it.

Roast the squash until it is tender and the marinade has been thickened and absorbed into a sauce. Stir the squash once or twice as it roasts. I found it took closer to an hour and a half than to an hour and a quarter, but that should be about the range.




Last year at this time I made Acorn Squash with Sausage Stuffing

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management