Friday 16 September 2016

Dum Aloo Lakhnavi | How to make Fried Potatoes stuffed Paneer Kofta Curry

I know the title is too long so was the dish, however, the taste ensured you forget everything the moment you take a bite in! Without a doubt, this must have been the most delicious gravy I have tasted and enjoyed. I know I enjoyed all the gravies I made for this week and this takes the first place.

This dish was also the first I made and it was inspired from NDTV Food channel. I am not even sure if the recipe below to a specific region. The recipe is long and complicated and I complicated and changed it further. 
As always I picked this up to be made on a Sunday afternoon for the Vegetarians at home. I changed things as I was cooking for want of time. There was a moment when I felt I might not able to complete it, then I quickly pan fried the koftas. I know the Panniyaram pan would've come to aid. The idea didn't come that time. I struggled hard to have the koftas cooked and hold its shape. Since the ingredients in the koftas are cooked, there was not much need to cook it, just the need to firm it. Still, it fell apart and got mixed up in the gravy.

Trust me this was the best thing to happen. The gravy was so delicious with crumbled potato and paneer floating around. If there ever was a recipe failed and yet reached its glory, this is it then!

I implore you to try it exactly like I did. :)





Dum Aloo Lakhnavi

Ingredients Needed

For the Potato Paneer Balls

Mashed potatoes - 2 cups
Crumbled paneer - 1 cup
Roasted Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Salt to taste

For the Fried Potatoes

Diced potatoes - 1/2 cup
Oil for deep frying
Salt a tiny pinch

For the Gravy

Butter - 2 tbsp
Onions - 2 cups (puree)
Tomato puree - 2 cups
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Roasted Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Chili powder - 1 tsp
Kasuri Methi - 2 pinches
Milk - 1 cup
Cream - 1/2 cup

How to make the Dum Aloo Lakhnavi

MW the potatoes and soak in water for the skin to peel off well. Mash with a fork when it is still hot.

For the balls, take the mashed potato in a bowl, add crumbled paneer, cumin powder, garam masala, salt and mix well.

Now dice the potatoes for the stuffing and deep fry till done. Remove and slightly sprinkle salt over it.

Pinch out small balls of the mashed potatoes, flatten in the center, stuff with a teaspoon of the fried potatoes and enclose well, making sure the ball is tightly packed. Continue with the rest and shallow fry in oil. Deep frying this will make the balls lose the shape. You can even fry these in panniyaram pan.

Keep it aside till the gravy is done.

For the Gravy

Heat a nonstick pan with butter, saute ginger garlic paste, then add the onion puree. Fry for few minutes. Then add all the spice powders and combine well. Continue cooking for another 5 mins.

Next, add the tomato puree and cook on high till the tomato puree gets cooked well.

When the tomato onion mix becomes thick and nicely cooked, add the milk and 1 cup water to get a thick gravy.

Finally, add the cream and Kasuri methi and cook for 2 mins. Add few koftas to the gravy and simmer.

Add the rest when serving the gravy.
Note:

Since we do not bind the koftas with anything else, the koftas are soft and will disintegrate into the gravy. However, that tastes awesome like this.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management