Monday 5 September 2016

Bread Potato Bonda | How to make Bread Potato Balls

For the second day of Tea Time Snacks, I have yet another starter made with potato similar to the Bonda I made for yesterday. I know I was quite surprised myself when I realised that I was yet to share the simplest Bonda. I was chuckling when I read my fellow buddies comments. I guess each of us has something like that left out, something everyday dish, with so many memories, yet haven't found the way to the blog to be shared.

I know it's no rocket science, yet it has so many memories. Just like today's Bread Bonda. I have something similar posted years back, remembering my school mate and the days I spent at her home, enjoying these bread rolls as her mom used to call it. Come to think of it, I think today's recipe was closer to what she made as I remember it used to be with a just handful of ingredients. Aunty used to make oval shaped rolls and it used to be deep fried. The memories seem still so fresh!

Anyway coming back to the recipe on hand, I took off on Monday on account of Vinayaka Chaturthi. This is the first time I haven't shared our pooja account on Cooking 4 all Seasons. Maybe all for a reason!

I was up with my usual menu, Chinnu was coming over frequently to check if he could help with making Chapatis. I told him that I was not making Chapatis, but Sweet Polis. Did I mention that I have two little helpers underfoot these days? Yes, my two young sous chefs, who seem to be vying on who will help with what! Chinnu somehow manages to be on time to help cook the chapatis. Peddu rushes in all angry because he missed a chance. So I took the opportunity to make the best of the sous chefs and made them make laddos, grate jaggery etc. 

Hubby dear was saying that very shortly I need not lift a finger as my boys will quickly learn all the dishes! Chinnu even went to the extent of wanting to write down the recipe of Paneer Butter Masala, as his friend liked it and wanted the recipe. And that since he loves it, he wants to learn how to make it. 

I told Chinnu that he can become a famous chef and the prerequisite being he should first learn to eat all the dishes! That sort of capped a lot of further discussions. 

So enjoy these bondas, while I go cook my next Tea Time Snacks. 

I am doing One Ingredient for all of this Mega BM Cooking Carnival, with a subtheme of Tea Time Snacks/ Starters.
Bread Potato Bonda

Ingredients Needed:

For the outer layer

Bread Slices  - 5 to 6 nos
Water / Milk - 1/2 to 1 cup depending on how you use

For the Stuffing

Boiled and Mashed Potatoes - 1 cup (2 large)
Boiled Peas - 2 to 3 tbsp
Green Chillies - 2 to 3 finely chopped
Coriander leaves handful
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying

How to make the Bread Potato Bondas

For the Filling

MW the Potato for 5 to 6 mins. Soak in water and peel the skin. Mash well with a fork till smooth. MW fresh peas for 4 mins. Drain and add to the mashed potatoes.

Add the salt, garam masala, finely chopped green chillies, coriander leaves, to the potato and mix well. Make small balls of 1-inch diameter. Keep it aside. 

For the outer layer

Trim the bread slices, and soak in water or milk. Squeeze out the excess liquid and place it on a plate.

For making the bondas

Place each ball in half of the soaked bread slice, cover all over. Pack it tightly. Close on all sides.

Heat a Kadai with oil. When the oil is hot, gently drop the bondas and fry in batches.

Drain on a kitchen towel and serve hot with ketchup.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management