Sunday 11 September 2016

Amritsari Aloo | How to make Punjabi Amritsari Aloo

We are starting the third week of BM Mega Marathon, themed on Cooking Carnival. I have picked up 1 Ingredient for all 26 days and the subtheme for this week is going to be Side Dishes / Gravies

I initially wanted to do this theme for the fourth week. Somehow the planned dishes for the third week is not ready and so had to bring this theme forward. And also I had plans on cooking side dishes from different cuisines. 

Unfortunately, even though I had them all decided, I realised getting my folks eat that would be tough as most would not fit our dinner menu. In the end, I ended up cooking Potato gravies from the different Indian States. 

Most recipes are from recipe collection, so I am not sure if the recipes are actually cooked in the said state. I just went ahead with the recipe and tweaked them to my taste.

First in the series is a gravy called as Amritsari Aloo. I think I have had this written in my file a long time ago. When I checked the net if this recipe is the same, some showed up as dry gravy as well.

So I just will say that I have used the dish name as the person who shared it with me and not really know if it is cooked this way in Punjabi. However the person who shared it with me is a Punjabi, so I take her word for it and went ahead!

The gravy turned out very delicious and had a wonderful aroma of the Kalonji that I love in the dish. This is surely a must try as it's so quick to make.


Amritsari Aloo

Ingredients Needed:

Potatoes - 3 to 4
Tomato Puree - 1 cup
Green Chillies - 3 nos
Fennel Seeds - 1 tsp
Kalonji - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Chilli powder - 1 1/2 tsp
Kasuri Methi big pinches
Lemon juice - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Butter - 1 tsp

How to make the Amritsari Aloo


Soak and peel the skin. Slightly mash the potatoes. 

Heat a nonstick pan with oil, temper with fennel seeds, kalonji, fenugreek seeds. Saute for a minute. Add chopped green chilies. Saute for a couple of minutes.

Then add the thick tomato puree, mix well. Cook on high for 5 mins.

Then add the salt, turmeric powder, chili powder, combine everything and simmer for 5 mins.

Add the potatoes and 3 cups water, bring to boil. Cook on high for 10 mins. Simmer till the gravy thickens slightly.

Sprinkle Kasuri methi, butter, and squeeze lemon and serve hot with Lachha paratha.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management