Saturday 16 July 2016

Easy Channa Rice | Quick Channa Rice for Kids Lunch Box

We are entering the third week of BM#66. I have opted to make some easy and quick Lunch Box recipes for Kids. This week's recipes are for my event Kid's Delight, an event that focuses on Kid approved dishes for various meals. This month's edition is guest hosted by Pavani, themed on Lunch Box Recipes.

I know this is one of the big challenges we have as mothers of young adults. I know the days when I sleep into planning on what to cook and if all three will actually complete their meals. This academic year I decided that I will only cook one dish that will have to be carried by all three. Previously I used to pack each of their favorite and I used to end up cooking about 5 to 6 different dishes in the morning and it used to be such a stressful task.

Konda has become more understanding and accommodating since a couple of years, still, I plan her favorite during the week. Boys, on the other hand, have specific dishes to their liking. If Peddu likes one, Chinnu doesn't and vice versa. After much discussion and debate, they agreed that I could pack the same lunch for them and each day it will alter to one of their choices. I know this restricts so much on my creativity that I could do. Still, I am happy that I do not have to do so many dishes and kids also learn to eat all.

I know it's something we should have got them to adjust when younger, somehow it was never the right time to impose. So these days I mostly plan for Rice dishes and one-pot meal as it gets done quickly. It's also mostly pulaos, mixed rices or Biryanis that get packed. I have been sharing their Lunch Boxes on my Instagram.  I wish Instagram had a tag to do it specifically!

Anyway coming to the first one in the series, I have an easy Channa Rice. These recipes were developed for publishing in The Hindu. I wanted to do Eggless Cakes for Snack Box, as I really love that concept. However, I was asked to create Healthy Kids Lunch Box Recipes. I thought it was really a challenge as for above-mentioned reason!

Luckily this Easy Channa rice was one of those hit dishes that all three of them loved it. So I thought it would be good to record here. It was my luck that Pavani wanted to host this theme and my task was done. I have been a little lagging for the last few weeks.

Hope you make this for your kids. Channa / Chickpea is a good source of protein and is important we include this in our kids' meal frequently. Always have a slash of frozen boiled chickpea on hand to make this easy Channa Rice. 

Sending this to my Kids Delight, guest hosted by Pavani, themed on Lunch Box Recipes.

Easy Channa Rice

Ingredients Needed:

Raw Rice - 1 cup
Boiled channa - 1 cup
Onions, chopped - 1/ 2 medium
Tomato - 1 small
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 / 2 tsp
Green chilies - 2 medium
Red chili powder - 3 /4 tsp 
Coriander powder - 3 /4 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Ghee - 2 tsp
Coriander leaves handful
Whole Spices
Bay leaf -1 
Cloves - 2 
Cinnamon - 1”
Cardamom - 1

How to make the Rice

Wash and soak the rice in enough water for 10 mins.

Heat a pressure cooker with oil and ghee; add all the whole spices and sauté well. Now add the onions, sauté till it turns brown, add the ginger garlic paste, sauté well.

Now add the chopped tomato, all the spice powders, and simmer for 5 mins.

Drain the rice and add to the pot. Combine everything and stir for 2 mins. Add 2 cups of water, check for salt and spice. Cover with pressure cooker lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles

Let the pressure fall, and fluff the rice to remove all the whole spices before packing.

Serve with onion raitha.
Total time to cook is 20 appro in the pressure cooker.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management