Saturday 26 March 2016

Ram Ladoo Recipe | Deep Fried Moong Dal Fritters Chat

For the final day of Street Food, I picked up something at the last moment, something I have been seeing around the blogosphere, very differently called the Ram Ladoo, from the streets of Delhi. The first time I had a proper look at it, I was quite skeptical about why this is called a ladoo, when it is a savory fritter.

The pictures were captivating and on top, it is supposed to be chat. I love chaats and especially if it involves deep fried stuff, even more. Anyway, I had something planned, though the final picture for it was not ready. Still I was planning on going ahead with it. 

I happened to chat with Padma, when our conversation went to what I was making and suddenly I told her about this Ram Ladoo that seems to be coming up in my vicinity quite often. She told me that we have tasted this, during our BM#25 Celebration we had in Ahmedabad when Vaishali had taken us for the Food Street for a late night Chat indulgence. 

Looks like with the focus being on so many chats, this particular one skipped my mind, though I remember it being called Dal Vada and not Ram Ladoo. Padma remembers Vaishali telling her that and I immediately sought that picture to have a look at it. Yes it was so yummy and I planned to fry some green chilies too, somehow I forgot again.

Anyway even though I had planned on making some for the April BM, I had to make this for today. It sort of completes Delhi Street food. The best part was making Konda happy with this feast. I am making Chat at home after a while and she thoroughly enjoyed it. I read about Ram Ladoo over here and used this for making mine.

I couldn't believe the deep fried moong dal fritters were oil free. Enjoy these Ram Ladoo topped with shredded radish and tangy chutneys and remember its is a popular Delhi chaat.


Ram Ladoo

Ingredients Needed:

For the Ladoo 

Split Yellow Moong Dal - 1 cup 
Chana dal / Bengal Gram - 1/4 cup 
Roasted Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
Ginger paste - 1 tbsp
Chopped Cilantro leaves - 1 tbsp
Hing / Asafoetida a pinch  
Red Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp 
Salt to taste
Oil for Frying

For Assembling the Ladoos

Horseradish or Mooli shredded - 1 medium 
A pinch of Chaat Masala - to sprinkle on top
Chopped Coriander leaves - to sprinkle on top handful
Lemon Juice - to sprinkle on top - 2 tbsp 

How to make the Ram Ladoos

Wash and soak yellow moong dal and Channa dal for 3-4 hours.

After the soaking, change water couple of times, then drain and take in a blender. 

Grind it to a fine paste along with ginger as its easy to grind like this.

The batter should be a fine paste and not coarse.

Transfer the batter to a bowl, add all other ingredients except soda. Mix well. Adjust well and finally add the baking soda. Beat well to get a fluffy batter. Batter should be thick. 

Heat oil in a kadhai. When oil is hot, drop one ladoo and fry till golden brown. Taste for spice and adjust. 

Then drop in small balls and drunch well to fry all over. Drain it on a kitchen towel and set it aside.

Radish Salad

Wash and peel the radish. Grate into thin strips. Add a tiny pinch of salt and chat masala over this. Squeeze in lemon juice.

Assembling the chaat

In the serving bowl, place the ladoos. 

Next add green chutney, then tamarind chutney. 

Top it off with 2 tablespoon of shredded radish strands. Add some more green chutney on top.

Sprinkle chaat masala. You can also finally chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilies and squeeze in lemon juice.

Ram ladoo chat is ready. 

Serve right away.
Notes:

Adjust the chutneys to your taste.

You can also make the ladoos low cal non fried version by frying them in appy pan. Drop 1 tablespoon mixture in each hole. Cover and cook on a medium low flame.

Turning occasionally cook until evenly brown from both the sides.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management