Friday 11 March 2016

No Tomato Mixed Vegetable Kurma ~ No Tomato Recipes

For the final day under No Tomato Gravies, I have a delicious mixed vegetable kurma. If you have ever observed, I am fond of making different kurmas. For the typical explanation that I have in my dictionary, I think of a kurma as a saviour of any meal. 

A Kurma will go excellently, if done in the way it is supposed to, for any meal of the day. Meaning if you serve a kurma for breakfast along with Dosa, Idli or Idiappam, you are in heaven! Did you fail to mention Poori? Well this comes first. So you can understand how much I love a Kurma or rather the ease it gives us in cooking.

As I have already shared, such adventurous or expedition always used to take place in parent's place. My father and brother are quite adventurous and would love to try anything that Amma dishes out for them and infact would praise it for a long time, which means it ought to get repeated again very soon. In that way, I felt I need to work on Hubby Dear's exposure as he comes from a household that seem to have fixed ideas about each meal. And t my surprise I find Athamma to be as adventurous as we are. 
Talking about Athamma, I think I failed to share the happy news of her return. I guess in my happy dance that I made, I failed to share that bit here. She's back home last week and yes all of us are so happy. Its been over eight months since she went to her daughter's home and now she was surprised to find certain changes in our family's food habit. I daresay I have got them improved in some areas and got them to be little more flexible in their attitude towards different meals. 

Ultimate change will be the day when one can have Chapatis with Kurma for Breakfast and think its normal! 

Anyway coming to the recipe for today, as I said I decided to make another kurma with a different nutty combination. My kurmas vary from super rich to mildly rich and this one can fit into either ways depending on how much coconut and poppy seeds you add in.

While the previous two dishes were made ahead, I was not done with this one and I had to make it the day we all had a family dinner together. My brother was leaving back to UK and the kids wanted to spend time together. They sort of wanted Fries Party! Can you imagine the ideas they come up to have a party? They had a pizza party, Cakes party, even biscuits party. Their idea of a party is sitting together, enjoy their snack with a fuzz. Since aerated drinks are not allowed, they are sadly left to enjoy their time with Fruit juice. While this is in no way equals a pepsi, they had to settle with it.

So while we were frying the french fries and other snacks, I squeezed in to make this gravy. By the time I was done, I was so tired that I didn't have energy enough for a proper click. The taste was awesome, so it kind of compensated.



No Tomato Mixed Vegetable Kurma

Ingredients Needed:

Onion puree - 1 cup
Ginger Garlic paste
Mixed vegetables (Carrot, Beans, Peas, Cauliflower, Potato ) - 2 cups
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Garam Masala - a pinch
Lemon Juice - 1 tsp

Whole Spices

Clove - 2
Cinnamon - 2
Cardamon - 2

Masala paste

Coconut - 3 tbsp
Poppy Seeds - 1 tsp

How to make the Kurma

Wash and prep the vegetables, parboil or MW for 10 mins and keep it aside.

Dry roast the coconut and poppy seeds, allow to cool and make a smooth paste.

Chop the onions, boil in a cup of water or MW for 3 mins, drain and once cooled, make a paste.

Heat a kadai, add oil, add the whole spice, saute for few seconds, then add the onion puree.

Cook on high, then add ginger garlic paste, saute well. Now add the spice powders, mix well and continue cooking for another 2 mins.

Add the ground coconut masala, combine everything and then add the boiled vegetables

Mix everything well, add enough water and bring to boil. 

Finally add the garam masala and coriander leaves. Switch off and add 1 tsp lemon juice. Cover with lid for 5 mins before serving.

Serve with rotis. 



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management