Monday 8 February 2016

FRANCE: French Food 1975 and UPDATE - Part A - Alsace

1975
Alsace is at the northeastern edge of France bordered by Switzerland and Germany. So the food and culture and music and ambiance is French-German-Swiss.  I felt very at home in this area when I visited because it was French and German and the two cultures had merged!!



Very major memories of spending three days in Colmar and having deja-vu.  I am or thought I was German-Scotch-Irish and Welsh but my Parisian instructor swore up and down that I looked like I was from France (Normandie).  Who knows but Deja-vu is a strange feeling and I had it for 3 days like I had German relatives near!!!  This is a darling town.  Here is a link for Alsace:  http://ift.tt/Otl26r

and here is one for the town of Colmar:  http://ift.tt/LG9Tzc

Visited Strasbourg when i was in Alsace but no deja vu!! Here is link for Strasbourg:  http://ift.tt/18oyaBj

  
 

  


RECIPES HAVE BEEN UPDATED TO THE 2016 AUDIENCE:

Alsatian food:  sauerkraut, pork sausages, goose, goose liver, brook trout and custard tarts.

Alsatian drink:  beer, golden wines and liqueurs.

Popular dishes of the area in 1975:

Tarte a l'Oignon,

Recipe from Simply Recipes 
http://ift.tt/1IoR3p4.


ONE CAUTION:  The first time I made this recipe in 1966 the recipe didn't say and this one doesn't either that after you saute the onions take them out and load them up with paper towels on top and bottom to drain those onion juices or you might get a few stomach cramps or worse. I did. Next time I made it no stomach cramps!! 




Choucroute Garnie                 

RECIPE FROM JACQUES PEPIN
Jacques Pepin Choucroute Garnie



CLICK ON PRINTED PHOTO ABOVE FOR Gateau Cote de Chevreuil (cake simulates a saddle of venison) but can't find photo of nor the cake recipe on line. so here is a jpg scanned copy of the old recipe from an old publication with the original recipe. No photo.  Sorry!

  

  


Want to know more about Alsace click on this link below:

Wiki on Alsace

  

  

  

  

  

 



2000-2016















Foie Gras with Fig

Escargot en vol-au-vent



Asparagus Tart


Bacon Tart



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management