Wednesday 4 November 2015

Tindora Nu Shaak | Gujarati Style Indian Ivy Gourd Stir Fry

Tindora or Kovakkai as we say in Tamil, is quite a regular vegetable that gets featured weekly. I was so surprised when I came to know Konda loves this vegetable. I was feeling I was such a bad mom for knowing what my kids like. Well that's the drawback of being a working woman and not be there to feed them their lunch.

Kids hardly eat anything in their school. Meaning their lunch boxes hardly come to anything substantial. So we give them rice and dal or rasam when they come back. Many days Konda ends up eating at Amma's place and so she gets fed and madam never bothers what she eats when she is fed. Amma literally feeds her vegetables mixed with rice and she hardly ever notices.

So on such occasions, Konda realized she loves this vegetable and since then when I make it for lunch, I pack her this for her too.

While making the Gujarati Thali, I wanted to settle with simple everyday dishes and easy to access vegetables, that I felt I can include in my regular menu if everybody likes it. So this was an attempt at making this vegetable differently to see if all like it. I made it slight more spicy because of my spice loving folks. Naturally the boys didn't eat it, they were fine with just Rotla and Gal.

This is again inspired from here, traveled from here.

While these make a great dry saute, the Urad Dal Bondas are delicious too.
 


Tindora Nu Shaak

Ingredients Needed:

Tindora / Kovakka, julienne - 1 - 1 &1/2 cup
Oil - 2 tsp
Hing a little
Turmeric Powder a pinch
Chili Powder 3/4 tsp
Coriander Powder 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

How to make the Tindora Nu Shaak

Slice Tindora into thin juliennes.

Heat oil in a pan. Add the hing. Then add the tindora. Saute for a couple of minutes. Sprinkle water and cover with a lid. Keep sauteing in between to ensure it doesn't get burnt. After cooking for 5 -7 mins, add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and salt.

Saute for another 2-3 min

Serve with roti or rice.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management