Tuesday 28 April 2015

Cherry Tomato and White Bean Salad

 photo DSCN1501_zpsbg6luxmr.jpg

Because of my present eye problems, I did an online grocery shop at the end of last week.  I just didn't feel like pushing a grocery cart through a shop with all the poor lighting etc.   I don't mind shopping online . . .  but this time most of my fresh items arrived with short use by dates.  That I DO mind.  YES I am one of those annoying people who pick the produce etc. from the back of the row where it is fresher when I am shopping!

 photo DSCN1502_zpsnorls6xk.jpg

 In any case I ended up with three pots of tomatoes that were due to expire within two days of my grocery order arriving.  This meant if I wanted to use them at their optimum, I needed to use them pretty much right away.

 photo DSCN1503_zpsjshp0dio.jpg

I ended up creating a Tomato and White Bean Salad, which went down a real treat!  Not only was it delicious, but it was very colourful also!

 photo DSCN1504_zpsv6vbqntz.jpg

And it lasted a couple of days.   The dressing has a nice punch  . . .  using fresh lemon juice, garlic and shallots  . . .  also basil and parsley, and olive oil  . . .  for a nice mix of flavours.

  photo DSCN1505_zpszpw8hqjz.jpg

With it's fresh and punchy dressing, bright colours, meatiness from the beans and sweetness from the tomatoes this was a real winner. I served it with some grilled fish and it was fabulous.

 photo DSCN1514_zpsv3urmi3u.jpg


*Cherry Tomato and White Bean Salad*
Serves 4

A delicious and colourful salad that is filled with lots of flavours and textures.   
 

3 TBS olive oil
2 banana shallots, peeled and finely diced
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and minced
1 1/2 TBS fresh lemon juice
1 tsp caster sugar
1 TBS basil flakes
1 tsp dry parsley flakes
fine seasalt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 pound each yellow and red cherry tomatoes, halved
1 425g tin of white beans, drained and rinsed (15 ounce)
1 TBS chopped fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish 
 

Whisk the olive oil, diced shallots, crushed garlic, lemon juice, basil, parsley and seasoning together in a bowl.   Tip in the beans and halved tomatoes.   Toss to coat.  Let stand for at least half an hour for flavours to infuse. Scatter with fresh parsley and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management