Wednesday 2 September 2015

Vegetarian Gyros with Tzatziki | Grilled Veggie Gyos

True to science, discovery of great things happens accidentally! I think it applies to cooking as well or rather recipes in my case today. I am not sure how I landed in reading about Tzatziki. Something made me persistent in reading more about it. One led to another and I ended up reading about Gyos. Wiki says a gyro is a Greek dish made with mostly grilled meat and alternatively can be made with feta or haloumi cheese as well. And usually served in a pita bread or sandwich stuffed with onions, tomatoes and Tzatziki sauce. 

Reading that it can be served with cheese, or grilled meat, I decided I would opt for grilled vegetables or Paneer. Just to see if there are other players who have already made this and enjoyed, I searched the net and lo I am the last person on earth to discovery Vegetarian Gyro and there was one with Paneer/ Indian Cottage Cheese as well. 

Having a tailored dish is such a convenient task I tell you. I decided to read through both the sites and try out the best I can make for myself. I wanted to make both grilled veggies and paneer blend. Made a Roti for the wrap and the sauce was all ready by the time I assembled it. The paneer mix came out so well that most of it was gobbled off before I could even think about it properly. Then I said I would need some for gyro and if they wanted, they can have the gyro as well.

I was making for the vegetarians at home and this being a new dish, Konda had to taste and approve. She liked it very much and even skipped her chicken for this sake. 

Today's combination is Vegetarian Gyros with Tzatziki, a Greek Specialty. Its the Day 3 today under BM#56, Mega Marathon, Buffet On Table!

The combination has been inspired by this and this. The pictures alone were drool-worthy enough to tempt me right away!



Vegetarian Gyros

Ingredients Needed

Whole wheat tortillas or rotis- 4 large
Lettuce leaves- 4-6 (I skipped)
Onion- 1 med, thinly sliced
Tomato- 1 large, chopped fine
Cucumber- 1 thinly sliced
Tzatziki- 1 cup

For the Grilled Vegetables and Paneer

Cottage cheese - 1 cup cubed
Cauliflower florets - 5 -6 
Capsicum, cubed - 1/4 cup
Greek style seasoning- 1/4 tsp
Garlic- 2 cloves, crushed
Vinegar- 1 tsp
Olive oil- 1 tbsp
Salt and pepper to taste

For the seasoning blend:

Red Chili powder / Paprika powder- 1 tsp
Cinnamon powder- a pinch
Nutmeg powder- a pinch
Cumin powder- 1/4 tsp
Mixed herbs- 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Freshly ground black Pepper- 1tsp

Original recipe calls for Onion powder, I used minced onions and sauteed it and then added to the grilled vegetables. I used about 1 medium onion.

How to make the Gyro

For the Greek Seasoning Blend
Combine all the ingredients and blend them in a blender or spice grinder to a fine powder and store in an air tight container. 

Place the cottage cheese in a bowl, and sprinkle half a table spoon of the seasoning mix, crushed garlic, vinegar and olive oil. Mix well set aside for an hour.

Cook the mixture over medium heat till a little dry. Remove from heat and set aside. Grill the cauliflower and capsicum over flame and when charred, keep it aside. 

Heat a pan with oil, saute minced onions and saute till browned. Then add the paneer and grilled vegetables, toss together.

To assemble the Gyros

Heat the tortillas or rotis slightly on a hot tawa and place it on a plate. Place a lettuce leaf, if using, in the center of the tortillas and place 3-4 slices of cucumber on the lettuce.

Next place some sliced onions, chopped tomatoes and sprinkle some salt and pepper.

Spoon a table spoon of cottage cheese, vegetable mixture over the salad and top it with tzatziki. I even spread it first on the rotis before placing the onions.

Roll up the tortilla into a cone and secure it with a tooth pick.

Serve immediately with tzatziki on the side.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management