Tuesday 11 August 2015

Mendiants au Chocolat

We are on the final day of cooking French Cuisine. I know I picked up a simple dish, which practically didn't look like cooking at all to me. However I have been want to make this shape and prepare exactly this way that I decided to make it for this theme.

Infact this was the first one I made when I decided on French Cuisine. My kids do not like dry fruits or nuts other than cashew nuts. So even in a chocolate, if its fruits and nuts, its not touched. Since I do not like cashews, most times those chocolates stay for a while.

However since we thought we should get them try these, we decided to get Konda initiated into the dry fruits. She said she won't mind if I make the chocolates with these. So hubby dear that it was my task to get it done and that's how this came into picture.

I was lucky that I remembered that this is a French specialty and I searched for it.

So wiki tells me that Mendiant is a confectionery originated from France. It has just two ingredients, chocolates and dried nuts and fruits.
Traditionally it was a chocolate disk studded with nuts and dried fruits representing the four mendicant or monastic orders of the Dominicans, Augustinians, Franciscans and Carmelites. Each of the nuts and dried fruits used refer to the color of monastic robes with tradition dictating raisins for the Dominicans, hazelnut for the Augustins, dried fig for Franciscans and almond for Carmelite.

Now this confection has moved away from the traditional combination of nuts and fruits to other combinations incorporating seeds, fruit peels and other items. And I could see recipes using so many different combinations.

When I made this at home, boys didn't even touch it, while the entire batch was enjoyed by Hubby dear and Konda. I used Dark chocolate along with roasted almonds, raisins, walnuts and cashews.


Mendiants au Chocolat

Ingredients Needed:

Dark compond - 1 cup
Cashews, Raisins, Almonds, Walnuts for topping.

MW chopped dark chocolate for 30 secs in two spurts. Temper well and drop a teaspoon of melted chocolate on parchment paper.

Place each nut on top and refrigerate.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management