Tuesday 11 August 2015

How to make Easy and Quick Vangi Bath | Easy Brinjal Rice

For the third and final day of cooking Healthy Family dinners, I have a Mixed Brinjal rice, made 

very quickly with just your easily available pantry spices. I know you must be thinking why a 

Brinjal rice, when I already have so many versions of it.

Kathrikai Sadam with ready to make mix
Mixed Vegetable Pulao with Vangi Bath Masala
Vangi Bath - with original Vangi Bath masala

That must be enough to try in a while, yet I find that my parents get brinjals without fail whenever they shop. While Hubby dear isn't either fond or not towards this vegetable, I end up making it once a week.

So having a quick and simple rice dish is your answer for a quick dinner. While the other versions of vangi bath calls for the typical Vangi Bath masala, today's recipe is as simple as you can get.

While on the topic of easy and quick dinners, I had an entertaining talk with my uncle. He got transferred to a new place where he has to cook for himself. So I was very interested to know what he cooks and he said I will be shocked hearing his ideas. 

Shocked was right, however I was taken in by the whole idea as well. I was chopping Indian Broadbeans and he shared how he cookes it. He follows a basic step for all his dinners. Saute the tempering ingredients, followed by the vegetable, spices and garam masala, if using. Then soaked rice, followed by water and salt. Pressure cook everything together.

While I can imagine this for a mixed vegetable to make a pulao, I was finding it hard to imagine with cluster beans of Indian Broadbeans. He says the same formula is applied to all vegetables and shared few more tips for bacholor cooking. I know my mind was making leaps and bounds on how to improvise on the theme. I am sure you will get to read about it, when I actually make it myself!

Now for the final Mixed rice, you have Brinjal rice!

Vangi Bath | Mixed Brinjal Rice

Ingredients Needed:

Cooked Rice - 2 cups
Brinjal - 250 gms
Onions - 1 big
Ginger Garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Cloves - 1
Cinnamon - 1
Cardamon - 1
Curry leaves
Oil - 2 -3 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Channa dal - 1/4 tsp
Cashews - 5 -6
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Curds - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
salt to taste
coriander leaves

How to make the Vangi Bath

Have cooked Rice ready at hand

Heat a Kadai with oil, temper with curry leaves, mustard seeds, chana dal, cashews and saute well.

Then add the whole garam masala and saute well. Now add the finely chopped onions, saute well.

Next add brinjals that are chopped as juliennes, and add salt, turmeric powder. Let it simmer for a while. 

Then add all the spice powders, followed by the curds. Ensure you have the flame in low when the curds are added. 

Cook in simmer for 5 mins, until the masala is nicely cooked and brinjal gets soft.

Now add the cooked rice and mix everything well.

Cover for 5 mins and serve hot with curds and papad.






Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management