Wednesday 10 June 2015

Vegetable Puffs | How to make Homemade Puff Pastry from Scratch

For the second day of Snacks, I have finally attempted what must have been on my To do list for the longest time. I love Puffs! I have written about my addiction on it many times and have been planning on making it from the scratch ever since I started blogging.

This was supposed to be part of the Movie Snacks, somehow it never happened. I decided I should make it no matter what. I have always made note of how this is done differently or similar, every time I come across a recipe.

Trust me I wasn't led off because of the time nor the amount of butter used. After all I knew I was going to feed this to the family and not that frequently as well. When I read Nalini making this, I was so tempted and checked out this recipe, which promises to be quick. Irony was, I ended up making this across two days. I might have as well tried the recipe one as well.
Anyway this recipe works out very well, though I had to bake it nearly 60 mins for the crispy texture to come out. Since I was making so many other dishes on the side, this didn't seem to o tiresome, however if you want the homemade stuff, this you must make it yourself.

I even made some puffs with dark chocolate for the boys, all this latest addiction happened when we visited Kamalika where she fed us only these, some savory some chocolate. So naturally you can understand how my attachement would be for chocolate and I had to make it for the kids as well.

I made smaller sizes and I got about 14 pieces. I know I should have frozen some, I was over enthusiastic and made up all of the dough. 
Kneading the dough


  First spread with one part butter

 
 Homemade Puff Pastry Second part Butter Spread












 Homemade Puff Pastry Third Spread







Final rolling out after complete freezing.





















Homemade Vegetable Puffs

Ingredients Needed:

For Puff Pastry from Scratch  

All purpose flour - 2 cups
Salt - 1 1/4 tsp
Granulated sugar - 1 tsp
Water -  1/2 cup
Lemon juice - 1 tsp
Unsalted butter - 150 gms
All purpose flour for dusting

For the stuffing

Ingredient Needed:

Potato - 3
Onion - 1 medium
Peas - 1/2 cup
Red chilli powder - 3/4 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Garam Masala powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Green chilies, finely chopped - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Butter - 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves
Oil - 1 tsp

How to make the Puff Pastry from Scratch


Mix the lemon juice with water and keep it aside.

In a bowl mix the all purpose flour, sugar and salt. To this add the lemon water and knead it to a soft dough. Add about 1 1/2 tbs of butter and transfer to the counter and knead for 10 mins. Let it sit for 10 minutes.

Now take the dough, dust well and roll it to a rectangular sheet of 10x20 inch with 1/8 inch thickness. Divide the butter to 3 equal portions and keep it aside. Divide the sheet into an imaginary 3 portions. Apply a thin layer of one portion of butter to 2/3 portion (2 portions) on the rectangular sheet and sprinkle some flour.

Fold in the ungreased part first on the middle part. On this, fold the butter part. Cover it with a cloth or foil and refrigerate for 15 minutes. I froze for 5 -7 mins. After 15 minutes take out the chilled dough.

Again on a dusted counter, roll the dough to a rectangular sheet with a rolling pin and apply the second portion of butter to 2/3 of the sheet and fold it in the same way like the first time. Cover it with a cloth or foil and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Repeat the same process as above.

Now for the third rolling, dust again and roll the dough to a rectangular sheet like before and reserve a tsp of butter and apply the butter to the whole sheet and fold it one above the other to a thin sheet as shown.Then finally apply the reserved butter and sprinkle some flour and fold it .Refrigerate it for 10-15 minutes.The pastry is ready now.


While the pastry is resting make the stuffing. Microwave the potatoes. Heat a non stick pan, saute onions, green chilies. Remove the green chilies, add the fresh peas, spice powders. Saute well.

Let it cool down.

For assembling

Now take the refrigerated pastry sheet and roll it to a rectangular sheet,if needed dust some flour. Cut it to a desired shape and keep a generous amount of stuffing.

Apply some water to the edges and seal it and arrange it on a lined baking tray. Brush it with some butter if you want. Preheat the oven at 215 C and bake it for 20 minutes or till a nice golden crust formed in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove it and brush it with butter.

Serve it warm with ketchup


 Notes:

I kept this overnight in fridge and baked it for nearly 50 mins. My oven temperature may not be up to the mark. So bake for 20 mins, increase by 10 mins till you get a crispy layer on top.

The dough can be frozen and stocked for 3 months. 

 
This also goes for my Kids Delight event, hosted by Sandhya themed on Snacking all the way



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management