Friday 16 February 2018

Za'atar Roasted Sweet Potatoes

There isn't much to this, but that's fine. It's a nice variation on the theme of roasted sweet potatoes. 

And since I think that's the shortest introduction I've ever written, I'm going to take a moment to rant about the quality of dried thyme that's been commercially available for the last few years, since that's commonly an ingredient in za'atar. You'll note there isn't any called for here.

For a while I kept buying thyme, measuring it out to cook with, and then tossing it because it had neither scent nor flavour. First I thought mine sat in the cupboard too long. Then I thought the stock I was getting from the store was not fresh. But several stores later including ones which really should have decent turnover of a foundational herb like thyme, I concluded that the problem was further back in the supply line than that. Next year I am going to make a point of planting, growing, and drying thyme myself because it seems to be the only way to get any that's even halfway usable, never mind good!

4 servings
1 hour 15 minutes - 15 minutes prep time

Za'atar Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Make the Za'atar:
2 teaspoons rubbed savory
1 teaspoon rubbed oregano
3 teaspoons sumac
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper (optional)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Mix it all in a small bowl.

Roast the Sweet Potatoes:
1 kilogram (2 pounds; 4 medium) sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Wash, trim, and chop the sweet potatoes into slightly larger than bite-sized chunks. Toss them with the olive oil in a shallow 8" x 10" baking (lasagne) dish. Sprinkle the za'atar over them and toss them again.

Roast the sweet potatoes for about 1 hour until soft, giving them a stir in the middle if you can.

That's it... don't burn your mouth!




Last year at this time I made Three Sisters' Stew.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management