Wednesday 9 November 2016

Pumpkin Waffles

Mmm, very nice!

Your pumpkin (or squash) should be on the dry side; it does help to cook it down a bit in a pan before making the waffles. (As I describe in this recipe for Pumpkin Loaf.) Otherwise, these are as easy and straightforward as any other waffles, and like all the waffles I've made so far they freeze well and re-heat in the toaster for a very quick and tasty breakfast.

As a brief digression, I was interested to note how my attitudes and techniques have changed over time. In the Pumpkin Loaf recipe I call canned pumpkin as inexpensive, but I have to say I haven't seen any recently that I would describe that way - the price seems to have gone up a lot! Also I am not so sure any of it would be local any more. Of course, I grow my own squash pretty exclusively now, and even if I didn't I think I would be inclined to stock up on squash while they are in peak season, cook, mash, and freeze. Lastly, note that I'm now talking about "squash" rather than "pumpkins" I'm more inclined to use butternut squash rather than (pepo varieties of) pumpkin for baking (and everything else pretty much).  

12 to 15 waffles
1 hour 15 minutes prep time

Pumpkin Waffles

Mix the dry Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups soft unbleached flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon finely grated nutmeg

Measure the flour in a 2 cup measuring cup, and add the remaining dry ingredients. Give it a stir.

Finish the Waffles:
1/4 cup mild vegetable oil
1 tablespoon molasses
1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 cups puréed cooked squash or pumpkin
1 cup milk OR buttermilk
more oil to brush the waffle iron; about 2 tablespoons

Heat the waffle iron.

Whisk together the oil, molasses, sugar, and eggs in a mixing bowl. Mix in the squash or pumpkin until thoroughly blended. Mix in the dry ingredients, alternately with the milk.

Brush the hot waffle iron with a little oil, and cook the batter in batches until the waffles are golden-brown and release easily from the iron, brushing with more oil between batches as required.

The waffles can be kept hot in a 200°F oven, or put on a rack to cool. They freeze and toast very well.




Last year at this time I made Sautéed Brussels Sprouts & Leeks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management