Friday 2 September 2016

Potato Finger Kurkure Recipe | How to make Potato Finger Kurkure

We are on the Mega BM, Cooking Carnival, where each of us is either cooking one ingredient or a category or a mix of these two. I have picked up to make Potatoes all of this month, with a subtheme for each week. The first three days are for Fries or Wedges.

For today, I have a desi version of the Potato Fries deep fried with a batter full of Indian spices. I was inspired by the Kurkure snack that kids are so fond of. I do not allow my kids to eat that on a regular basis. They only buy it when we travel, even then most times the lays chips become more interesting or Cheetos. The number of times they must have eaten this is less and even less that I have tasted it. 

I know its tangy and spicy too. I wanted to recreate the same flavour at home. I checked if they are any versions over the net. I came across one made by Nisha Madhulika. It almost looked like a potato bajji but with fingers. I had a different idea for this, wherein the potatoes are cooked and shaped as fingers before being deep fried. I knew it will end up being very oily!
I thought I might stick to this simpler version. After watching one more video I realized that they are calling it kurkure because of the shape and the chat masala that gets sprinkled. I went with my own measurement and gave a good sprinkle. Of course, only Konda and Peddu liked it. Chinnu peeled off the outer layer before eating the crispy fingers. Even Hubby dear loved it. This was the first time he was partaking the sep special and I haven't even though him. He doesn't' really need a reason to enjoy potatoes.


Potato Finger Kurkure

Ingredients Needed:

Large Potato - 2 
Gram flour / Besan - 1 cup
Semolina / Rava - 1/2 cup
Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Roasted Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder
Water to make a thick batter

To sprinkle on top
Chat Masala and Kala Namak (so go easy on the salt you add to the batter)

Oil for deep frying

How to make Potato Finger Kurkure

Wash and peel the potatoes. Dice into 1/2 inch thick fingers, keep it soaked in water.

In a bowl add all the ingredients listed for the batter, adjust the spice and heat the Kadai.

When the oil is hot, remove the potato fingers from water, ensure to shake well to remove water and drop into the batter and coat well. 

Gently remove ensuring the fingers are still nicely coated and gently drop into the hot oil. Reduce the flame to medium and continue cooking till it changes colour and gets cooked on all sides.

Remove to a bowl, sprinkle chaat masala, and Kala Namak and toss well.

Serve hot with Ketchup or mint chutney.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management