Thursday 1 September 2016

Cajun Style Potato Fries | How to make Potato Fries Cajun Style

For the second day of BM#68 Mega BM on Cooking Carnival, I am doing Potatoes as the star ingredient. For the week 1 subtheme is Fries. After the Italian flavored Cheesy Wedges, it's now Cajun Style Potato Fries. I adapted the spice mix from Allrecipes and used my own proportion as I don't have garlic powder or onion powder.

A couple of years ago I was planning on making some pizzas that called for both garlic powder and onion powder. I got the smallest quantity available and it was still an expensive one. I must have used it very sparingly and it was lying around for many months before I discarded it. Since then I decided I am never going to buy such spices when I am not going to use it at all.

So for this spice mix, you can grate very fine and MW for 30 secs till the moisture evaporates. Cajun Spice mix is almost like our Indian spice mix with Chili powder being more. Konda enjoyed it so much as it was quite spicy and when you dip into the mayo sauce it simply takes you to a different level.

I was planning on baking these too, however, with 3 kids always stepping on you, you are not given enough time to even think. While both my boys are not so keen on potatoes, they are very fond of chips and fries. Chinnu though only likes with salt and pepper, while Peddu is a bit more adventurous.

The fries are addictive and you don't realize how many you tuck in while you indulge in them...so always have the Cajun Spice mix ready to make these anytime!



Cajun Style Potato Fries

Cajun Spice Mix

Salt - 2 tsp
Red Chili powder - 2 tsp 
Garlic powder - 2 tsp 
Ground Black pepper - 1 tsp 
Onion powder - 1 tsp 
Dried oregano - 1 1/4 tsp
Dried thyme - 1 1/4 tsp
Red pepper flakes 1/2 tsp

Tomato Ketchup and Eggless Mayonnaise for Dips

How to make the Cajun Spice Mix

Since I don't have garlic powder or onion powder, I finely grated it and MW it in intervals of 30 secs to dry.

Then stirred all the rest together and pulse it twice. 

Store in an airtight container.

For the Fries

Large Potatoes - 3 to 4
Oil for Deep Frying
Cajun Spice mix

How to make the Cajun Style Potato Fries 

Peel and dice the potatoes into 1/2 inch fingers. Parboil in a huge pot of water. Drain in a colander till dry.

Heat a Kadai with oil, deep fry the fries in batches. Remove and double fry to get crispy fries.

Remove to a kitchen towel. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle the cajun spice mix as per taste.

Serve with ketchup and Mayo





Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management