Wednesday 20 April 2016

Ratale Poli | How to make Sweet Potato Roti

Ratale Poli - A to Z Maharashtrian Sweets

We are on the 18th alphabet, R and I had a choice of making dishes like Ratalyacha Sheera (Sweet Potato Halwa), Ravyachi Kheer (Rawa Kheer), Rava Besan Vadi and Ratale Poli. I could've gone ahead with Ratalyacha Sheera, however, I wanted to make another halwa, I wanted to skip this. I also had too many kheers. In fact, Kheers are no while halwas are ok at home.

Rava Besan Vadi is already on the blog. So the final option was this Ratale poli. Ratale is Sweet Potato and this refers to the Sweet Potato Roti. When it is used as an adjective it becomes Ratalyacha. I had a straightforward recipe to follow and quite so simple. I basically opted for this reason. I was so tired to stand on attention slogging over a halwa. 

The heat is getting to all and especially when one is forced to be in the kitchen during weekends, it becomes unbearable. So as I went towards the final recipes, I ended up picking up simple ones.

I love sweet potato and the way I eat is just boil and eat as such. As a kid, I remember mixing it with sugar and enjoying it. I was the only one who ever ate like that. Rest all would eat as such. In fact, I don't' remember anybody at home even touching it. So whenever Amma gets it, it's only for me. These days I refrain from sugar and realized even the plain boiled ones taste so good. These make a great evening snack and for the goodness, this is promoted off late, it's good to include in your diet.

This Maharashtrian Recipe is also called as Ratale Roti, Sweet Potato roti. 

I am not sure what these rotis are served along with, I couldn't gather that detail. However, this tastes great as such as its sweet. You can increase your sweetness by increasing the jaggery. Remember as you add in wheat flour the sweetness will decrease, so adjust accordingly.





Ratale Poli 

Ingredients Needed:

Sweet Potato cubes (Peeled) 2 cup 
Jaggery grated - 1 cup 
Whole-wheat flour as required
oil 2 tbsp 
Ghee - 2 tsp

How to make Ratale Roti

Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes, cut into cubes and take in a pressure cooker. Add enough water and pressure cook for 3 whistles. Let the pressure fall down.

Once done, transfer to a bowl and let it cool down. Peel the skin and add grated jaggery to steamed cubes, and mix well with a fork. Mash all cubes properly. The mixture should be thin in consistency and without any lumps.

Next add wheat flour to the mixture. Add one spoon at a time, as you continue kneading the dough. When the dough becomes non sticky and plaiable add 2 tbsp oil and knead again. Put this dough in a bowl and cover it for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes divide the dough into equal balls, dust well and make out rotis. 

Heat a tawa and grease with ghee. Cook the rotis on both sides, grease the top with ghee and serve hot. 

This Rotis will remain fresh for 3-4 days. So store well.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management