Thursday 7 April 2016

Gul Poli | How to make Jaggery Stuffed Flatbread

Gul Poli - A to Z Maharashtrian Sweets

It was an easy pick for G. Though I had a choice like GuLacha Shira, Gul Shevya, Ghavan Ghatle, Gavhle, God Shankarpale, Gulachi poli was the one that was appealing. This Jaggery stuffed Flatbread might seem quite simple before you read the recipe. You will be in for a surprise how many things go into the stuffing.

Rolling out this polis is tough if your stuffing has become hard. The best way to make this will be to just add grated jaggery. However I went ahead and MW for a while, maybe even few minutes that ended up with a thicker syrup.

Still I managed to make this correctly in the end. Also, as I observed, my other dough was always enough for the stuffing, so even though I didn't follow any recipe to the T, I managed to use up what I made.


I adapted my Gulpoli from here and here. Since the day I made this, I also made 4 other sweets, I had eyeballed the roasted nuts as I had prepared for all the dishes. Even the dough was kneaded for another dish. 

As the recipes claim, these polis stay good for nearly 2 to 3 days. Since I made so many sweets, it was obvious it won't get completed the same day. So I was happy that these have a good shelf life at room temperature as well.







 
Gulpoli /  Gul Poli/ Jaggery stuffed flat bread

Ingredients Needed:

For Outer Layer

Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
All purpose flour - 1 cup 
Water - 1 cup 
Cooking Oil - 2 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1 tsp

For the stuffing

Chickpea flour/ Besan - 2 tbsp 
Cashewnuts, Pistas and Almonds - 1/2 cup
Grated Jaggery - 1.5 cups
Poppy seeds - 1 tspn
Sesame seeds - 1 tspn 

How to make the Gulpoli

For the Dough

Mix all the ingredients of the dough to make a soft pliable dough. 

Set the dough aside to rest for 1-2 hours

For making the stuffing

Dry roast the poppy seeds, sesame seeds separately. Remove and keep it aside. 

In the same pan, heat ghee, roast the nuts and remove. Next roast the besan till the raw smell is removed.

Grind the poppy seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, cashewnuts to form a paste or powder. Add Besan and add every

Melt the grated jaggery for 20 secs, then add rest of the ingredients to form a sticky dough.

To assemble and roast the stuffed flatbread

Pinch equal number of balls of dough and stuffing.

Roll out the dough and place the stuffing in the centre.

Close the stuffing and then roll it out gently to thin flat bread

Roast on hot tawa with ghee on both sides, don't flip often as it may break.

Let it cool to form a crispy bread. 


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management