Tuesday 5 April 2016

Ekadashi Farali Bhat | How to make Sweet Moriyo

Ekadashi Farali Bhat - A to Z Maharashtrian Sweets

It is interesting how you come about a dish. Especially when you least expect it to happen. While my list was almost filled up, there were a handful of alphabets that seem so tough to crack. E was one of them and I was literally breaking my head (just for dramatics)

Apart from scanning whole of the net, I was pestering my Maharatrian BM buddies as well. In the process, I pinged Varada. I told her I need help with E and she said there may not be much choice for E, and suggested I could do Ekadashi something. 

Well, that was all the lead I needed. Until then I never realized there are so many Vrat Ki Khanna. I knew it was a very important aspect of our religious cooking. Since I never fast and also the fasting rules in our place is different, I never really looked into it.

Ekadashi Farali Bhat
Though we had our paternal grandparents living with us for major years of my growing, there were not much of these religious outlooks on the younger generation. We believe one can be pious and not overly religious in our habits. So Amma was the only one who fasted and she never forced it on us. 

Fasting in our home during pooja time would be either to skip the meal, as she will be busy cooking or else only have a light tiffin for dinner on certain days. So the concept of cooking Fasting or Farali dishes is uncommon to us. I updated myself to know that  "farali"refers to fasting.

So when Varada said Ekadashi, then so many things came up. However, I had to pick up a sweet right. So I landed in this site and happy to see so many special Ekadasi dishes and a sweet dish as well. I had no other thought other than doing it for E.


Ekadashi Farali Bhat is a sweet made with moriyo or Little Millet. Though I am familiar with little Millet and have got it for Athamma, I personally never cooked it or tasted it. I have eaten Foxtail Millet or Korralu. 

The Little Millet in known in  Gujarati Samo / Moriyo / Gajro / kuri, in Marathi Sava, Halvi, vari, "Bhagar' or "Vari cha Tandul", in Hindi it is called "Mordhan" or "Sava ka chawal" / Moraiyo, Kutki, Shavan. In Bengali, it is called as Sama. In Tamil, it is called Samai. In Telugu, it is called as Samalu. In Oriya, it is called as Suan.

These millets are prepared mostly as Khichadis and consumed mainly during festival fasting days. So finding a sweet dish was my luck.



Ekadashi Special Farali Bhat

Ingredients Needed:

Sava chaval/ Moriyo/ Samo seeds / Little Millet –  1/2 cup
Coconut (Fresh/Dry) - 1/2 cup, I used fresh coconut
Milk – 4 cups (4 times your dry mixture)
Sugar – 3/4 cup (or as per your taste)
Ghee – 1/2 teaspoon, to roast coconut and moriyo
Cardamom powder
Clove – optional
Chopped and roasted Almonds, Pista and Cashew as per taste
Saffron few strands

How to make the Bhat

In a nonstick pan, heat ghee and roast coconut and samai for 4 to 5 mins.

Then add milk, stir and then add sugar. Cover and let it cook for 10 mins, in interval keep stirring.

After about 10 mins when the pudding starts to thicken, turn off the heat.

Add Cardamom powder. If you are using Cloves, roast it with coconut and moriyo. For color, you can add saffron.

Garnish with dry fruits.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management