Monday 7 September 2015

Sultani Dal ~ Uttar Pradesh Awadhi Thali

Second in the Indian States is the Awadhi Cuisine from Uttar Pradesh. Awadhi cuisine is known for its rich food. The Cuisine is influenced by the Mughal cooking style and the cuisine has much similarities to Kashmir, Punjab and Hyderabad.

Reading about this cuisine, I realized the many dishes that are commonly found in other states as well, namely the Hyderabad and Punjab. Ever since Vaishali posted here Awadhi Cuisine, I have been wanting to make it. Unfortunately, I have already made some of them on different occasion, so I couldn't reproduce the entire thaali here.

And of course I can't beat her presentation and setup..:)

I was tempted more when Rajani had made a similar spread herself inspired from Vaishali. So with the less time I had on hand, I simply landed in both their spaces and religiously followed the recipes, making my own changes in the process.


I decided to make this thali on a Sunday and unfortunately Hubby dear had work and was not at home. I was almost giving up, when I came to know my cousin was visiting Parents and Amma was planning to make Vegetarian food. I said I will take care of the Vegetarian and I was so glad I had people to feed.

With the usual Sunday Breakfast preparation, I was delayed and by the time I got down making this menu, it was 11.30. I was so dead tired and tensed as I didn't want them waiting. I managed to get all the dishes done by 1.30 and I didn't have energy to even click. On top I had to feed my kids, though the food was so much appreciated, I decided never to tax myself with so little time on hand!

This is again adapted from Vaishali.
Sultaani Daal

Ingredients

Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
Bay Leaf - 1
Garlic - 6 cloves
Green chilies - 2
Red chili powder 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds -1 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala
Salt to taste
Curds
Cream - 250 ml
Milk - 1/2 cup
Few strands saffron dissolved in milk

How to make the Sultani Dal

Wash and pressure dal till mushy.

Whisk curd and mix cream and milk together in a bowl.

Heat a kadai with oil, add bay leaf, then add the cream mixture. Mix and then add the dal

Next add the green chilli, red chilli powder, salt and garam masala. Cook for 8-10 minutes.

Temper it with chopped garlic and cumin seeds.

Garnish with coriander leaves.

This is part of the Awadhi Thali


Notes

This recipe requires coal and betal leaf on which ghee is poured. The coal is removed after few mins. I skipped this step. I think the smoky effect of the coal will be missed if you skip it. However the dal was very much liked as such because it was so creamy and rich.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 56

    An InLinkz Link-up

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management