Thursday 10 September 2015

How to make Tamil Nadu Sambar Podi | Sambar Powder

Learn to make yet another version of the very versatile Tamil Nadu Sambar Powder!

Yes for a person who ends up making Sambar so many times in a week, having different Sambar Podis help. We always make our own home blend and I have only used what Amma makes for helpful. As I have said so many times, even if the method and ingredients are the same, she makes it in different ways with different vegetables.

She makes her own Sambar podi and sends my share once it gets over. Other than making some instant sambar podis myself, I have not ground the huge amount she gets ground.

Her version of Sambar Podi stays fresh for over 2 months. My SIL stocks it with her for 2 years and I have seen my Aunties taking it with them as well.

So even though its time tested and loved by all, I guess she was tempted to try this version of Sambar Podi that she came across in Prestige Pressure Cooker Recipe Booklet. We have so many of them, some new recipes are included in intervals, otherwise the same recipes get printed all the time.

Why she was interested in it was because of the Sambar Recipe. It is a No Tomato Sambar! Well as I had said recently we have been looking at recipes that are prepared without tomatoes and given that, this sambar recipe caught her attention. She said she had to make the sambar powder as well, if she has to try it out.

So it ended up being that she ground a huge batch and sent my share as well. This Sambar podi is what's used at present at home. I also used this for making Mullangi Beans Carrot Sambar without Tomato

This Sambar podi was used in making Mixed Vegetable Sambar, which was part of the Aadi Krithigai Festival Menu

This is my Masala Dabba having all the regularly used Sambar Podi, Chili powder, Coriander Powder and the Tempering Blend for Sambar prepared and stocked.

This reminds me that I am yet to write about my Masala Dabba! Will do it sometime soon. Meanwhile do share your Masala Dabbas if you have!

The Roasted cumin powder is kept separately and unlike North Indian recipes, we do not mix coriander-cumin powder together nor use it for all dishes. Even though there is a common factor across all Indian Cuisines, there are slight subtle changes that makes it different!
Sambar Powder ver 2

Ingredients Needed:

Whole Coriander Seeds or Dhania / Malli - 500 gms
Round Dry Red Chillis - 500 gms
Tur Dal - 1 & 1/2 cup
Bengal Gram - 3/4 cup
Whole Peppercorns - 20 gms / 2 tbsp
Fenugreek Seeds /Venthaiyam- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 50 gms

Sun Dry all the ingredients and grind it in a mill. If you want to make smaller quantity, then size down the measurement, dry it in sun for a day and grind in your mixer.

This goes for the September Week 2, Cooking from Cookbook Challenge  Group.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management