Tuesday 1 September 2015

How to make Homemade Tomato Salsa


Along with the Tortilla Chips, I planned on making Cheese Dip and Tomato Salsa. My first exposure to Mexican Cuisine happened when my Mexican colleague visited us. She loves Indian Food and Indian Shops. I took her around couple of times and we even had cooking sessions at work place. While she was talking about Indian Food, I was asking her about Mexican and she was so happy to share all the details.

We had prepared Enchiladas both Chicken and Vegetarian for our staff. That's when she made a Tomato Salsa and spoke to me about the different salsas they make! Since I was more concerned on getting my vegetarian Enchiladas, I was not paying much attention and only referred back to the recipe when I was actually making the Salsa myself.

Then I read about all Salsa. Salsas can be served as a relish, sauce and a dip. All in all dish if you must know. There is a fresh, salad version, grilled and roasted version and a sauce version. I am sure the Mexicans love their salsas.

I have made both the fresh and roasted version and was waiting to make the sauce version. When I had made the Vegetarian Fajitas, I got Tomato Salsa Sauce and Taco Seasoning along with the Tortillas. I was waiting to make it myself at home.

So when I selected to make Tortillas Chips, I decided it will be a sauce. For the third day under Combo dishes it's  Homemade Tortilla Chips served with Homemade Cheese Dip and Tomato Salsa Sauce!


Tomato Salsa ~ Restaurant Style

Ingredients Needed

Ripe Tomatoes - 2 -3 medium
Green Shallots - 1 
Tomato Paste - 3 -4 tsp
Water - 1/4 cup
Red Jalapeno Paste / chili paste - 1/4 cup 
Sugar - 1 tsp
Salt a pinch
Taco seasoning - 1 tsp
Olive Oil - 1 tsp

How to make the Tomato Salsa

Heat a non stick pan with olive oil, saute the green shallots, finely chopped tomato, chili paste, tomato paste, water, sugar and taco seasoning. Cook on meadium heat, stirring to ensure it gets properly cooked. When the mixture thickens slightly remove from heat and set aside to cool. 

Serve as a dip

This sauce tasted much like the store bought Salsa Sauce, except that was more tangy and tart, maybe because of vinegar that must have been added.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management