Tuesday 8 September 2015

Chana Lentil and Cucumber Salad | Kadale Bele Kosambari ~ Udupi Recipe


Kosambari or koshambari is a vegetable salad made from pulses and vegetables, often seasoned with mustard seeds. The pulses generally used are split bengal gram and split Green gram. These salads can be eaten as such, though served usually as a part of full course meal in Udupi cuisine.

While split green gram is used in used in Tamil Nadu, I found that split bengal gram is also used in Udupi Cuisine.

I adapted my Kosambari from here. Though one can season this, I skipped it. Also the recipe calls for soaking channa dal for only 20 mins. I was a bit skeptical and soaked it over 2 hours or rather I soaked when I began my cooking and made the salad some 30 mins before serving. I made sure I refrigerated it after making.

I was also little doubtful on how my folks would appreciate eating uncooked pulse, though we are so used to Vada Pappu, which is nothing but soaked split moong dal. I was so surprised that both Amma and Hubby Dear loved it. Yes I liked it a lot too and we had a clean bowl.

This is part of the Udupi Thali

How to plan and prepar Udupi Lunch Menu, has details on how I went about preparing the thali,

As I have said in the beginning, my representative of any of the regional cuisines is not complete by any means. I have picked up dishes that I could make and knew my family will like. The choices and dishes that will be part of any thali is beyond my aspiration to cook and enjoy in one sitting! 


Kadale Bele Kosambari

Ingredients Needed:

Channa dal - 2 tbsp
Cucumber, finely chopped - 1/2 cup
Grate coconut ­ 2 tsp
Green chilli ­ 1 no.
Lemon juice ­ 1 tsp 
Coriander leaves fistful
Salt to taste

How to make the Kosambari

Wash and soak the channa dal for 2 hrs or till soft. 

Wash and peel the cucumber. Cube it into fine pieces.

Drain and change water couple of times for the channa dal and transfer to a mixer. Add chopped green chilies and grind to an almost smooth paste. However take care to ensure it is not too smooth as well.

Transfer to a bowl, add grated coconut, cucumber pieces, coriander leaves. Mix well.

Just before serving add salt and lemon juice.

Notes

Adding salt and juice will make the salad watery. So take care.

You could also use grated raw mango. And can temper with mustard seeds as well. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management