Friday 4 September 2015

Apple Crumble with Custard Sauce

We are coming to the last day of week 1, Buffet on Table, where we are doing Combo Dishes. With so many savory and dinner ideas done, I suddenly realized I could pick up a dessert. Infact my choice was another interesting dinner combo that will have to come out some other time. 

When I think of a dessert combo, all I could think of was Chocolate Brownie with Vanilla Ice Cream, which I have already done. Other than that I could only think about Indian Dessert combos like Gulab Jamun - Ice Cream. Carrot Halwa - Ice cream and Jalebi- Ice Cream. I know there is this Ice Cream Cake. I ended up thinking that the choice are so limited and looks like we can't think beyond Ice cream. 

As I said before, I am not sure what made me think of Apple Crumble. Its again been a dish I have been wanting to make. When we did Around the World in 30 Days, I had made Danish Æblekage / Danish Apple Cake


I know I didn't check out Apple Crumble then, though whenever I look at apple, I remember this dish. Its not often I cook with fruits. So its a chore to actually plan something with fruits. 

I went with checking Apple Crumble and I was so delighted to know the history of this dessert and how different it is served in different countries. Apple crumble is a British pudding traditionally served with Custard. Though over years, it was also served with cream or ice cream. 

I was thinking if I should really make this or pick up something else, since I have the Vanilla Custard recipe on the blog already. However since that is anyway a ready made custard powder recipe, there really is nothing new I will be making. And decided to go with Apple Crumble with Vanilla Custard.

Since I always make sure to have some desserts prepared for Sunday Lunch, I thought this will be the best chance to make use. I could get Hubby dear eat this and give his feedback as well. He loved it so much that he polished off the extra bowl and said it was intoxicating and lured him sleep. He infact napped like a baby and wanted another one for dinner! Said I will have to remember to repeat this dessert. I readily agreed and hearing our conversation, Konda was upset that I was ready to agree to repeat this, whereas I have not repeated her request. I said time is too short to repeat all her cakes and cheesy stuffs and there must still be so many other sinful dishes for to try!

I guess a lifetime is not just enough to try all the dishes across the globe!

I hope you all enjoyed the Combo Dishes that I made for Week 1. come back next week for a feast featuring Indian States!


For the Crumb Layer


For the Apple Layer
 Assembling before baking!

Make the Vanilla Custard Sauce



Apple Crumble Recipe

Ingredients

Apples - 3 medium
Maida / All purpose flour - 1 cup
Unsalted Butter - 3 -4 tbsp
Sugar - 3 -4 tsp + 2 tbsp for sprinkling on top
Cinnamon powder a pinch

How to Make Apple Crumble:

To make the apple base:

Wash, peel the skin and core the apples. Chop into thin 1 inch pieces and add 3 - 4 tsp of sugar to prevent from browning. You can also add a few drops of lemon juice if you are not going to cook the apple right away.

Cook on a low fire until soft and mushy. Just before taking it off, sprinkle the cinnamon powder, mix well and remove to cool.

To make the pie layer

Take the flour in a bowl, add sugar and cold butter. Crumble with your fingers so that the flour gets coated with butter and turns to become crumbs. Make sure you are not kneading to a dough.

Since I was baking in single serve ramekins, I greased as many bowls as needed. Else you can bake all in one baking tray.

First goes in the apple layer, on top of it will be a layer of the flour, evenly spread. Gently press down. Sprinkle some sugar on top.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 185 C for 30 - 40 mins. You can check if done after 30 mins.

Serve warm with chilled vanilla custard sauce

To make the sauce, follow the same method I have done for making Vanilla Custard

Ensure the apple crumble is warm before serving. So MW for 30 sec if required and serve with chilled custard sauce.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management