Thursday 16 July 2015

Bikaneri Paratha | Dal Stuffed Bikaneri Paratha

We are starting the third week of BM#54. I will be cooking lentils in three different ways. Lentils provide all the protein to a vegetarian and one has to include all different dals in a meal, if one has to get the required protein intake.

Though I have been a vegetarian for the best part of my life, I have never really given much importance to it. A year back I went on a severe exercise regime and ignored my diet. Result was ending up with bad cramps, that none of the doctors could even understand. I finally realized myself and when I told that to my ortho, he was shocked that I am a vegetarian. He then went on to say how one must include at least three different lentil in a meal to compensate or even to get just enough for us to be alright.


Imagine my shock. I hardly ever include more than one and talk about three or more! Anyway the moral of the story was, I should stock up my lentil recipes and make them more. This weeks theme is no where near me making them all the time. Still it was worth the efforts.

The day one recipe is something I made long time back from Sapana's space. The parathas were very good, I wonder why i never posted it, lucky me, it was all there for me to just post it now! The picture setup was inspired by Nalini, who had done a similar setup during the time I had made this. Mine were no where close to how wonderfully Nalini plates her dishes, still it was worth the try.

These dal stuffed parathas are a great source of energy for breakfast. You could make the stuffing ahead and freeze if required. Even just refrigerating will do, you can just make parathas for morning breakfast.





Bikaneri Paratha

Ingredients Needed

For the outer layer:

Wheat flour - 1 cup
All purpose flour/ Maida - 1/4 cup
A pinch salt
Water as required
Oil for cooking the parathas

For filling:

Split Yellow Moong dal - 1/4 cup
Handful of channa dal
Green Chilli - 2 medium
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Ginger, grated - 1"
Red Chilli powder 1 tsp
Garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Amchoor powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tsp

How to make the Paratha:

Knead the flours together with salt and ensure the dough is soft, yet stiff. Keep it covered till you make the filling.

Wash and soak Moong dal in water for 1 hour. Drain and grind to make a smooth paste.

Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, once it splutters, add the grated ginger and chopped green chillies.

Add the salt, spice powders and let it get cooked well. This takes about couple of mins.

Now add dal paste and mix well. Let it get cooked well and the mixture dries up.

Set it aside to cool. Divide into small balls.

To make the Bikaneri Paratha

Pinch out equal balls from the dough. Dust well and flatten on the sides. Place the dall balls and enclose on all sides completely.

Dust again and gently roll it out.

Heat a tawa and cook the Paratha on both sides using oil.

Serve with curds and pickle.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management