Friday 24 July 2015

Basic Waffles

My brother in law Martin is on a low-sugar, low-carb diet, and his pain is my gain. (Probably weight gain, unfortunately.) He gave me his vintage waffle iron, probably dating from the late 1940s, and I finally can make waffles again. I had a waffle iron, but the last few times I used it, the waffles came out soft and floppy, and eventually they refused to even come out at all, and I said to hell with it and threw it away.

I tried putting some berries in the batter as I made the waffles, but that was not a good idea. They stuck, even if the waffles didn't, then the bits of stuck berry scorched themselves into the subsequent waffles. You can see the bits in the picture. Not a disaster, but not recommended either. We served most of the berries raw on top, and they were much better that way.

This is a nice basic recipe, and they turned out very well. We found them surprisingly filling. I don't mean that we were stuffed, but that they kept us going until lunch time, and I don't always expect that of waffles.

12 waffles
30 minutes prep time


1 cup soft whole wheat flour
1 cup soft unbleached flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon honey
3 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
a little oil to grease the waffle iron

Measure the 2 flours, the baking powder, and the salt, and mix them together and set them aside.

Measure the butter and honey into a heat-proof bowl or pot, and heat until they are just melted but not hot, in the microwave or on the stove as seems best to you. Let cool slightly. Put the waffle iron on to heat.

Meanwhile, beat the eggs and buttermilk together in a mixing bowl. Whisk in the butter and honey when they are no longer hot. Whisk in the flour until just blended.

Brush the hot waffle iron lightly with oil - I like a silicone brush for this - then ladle in enough batter to cover the bottom when spread carefully to the corners. Close the iron and cook until the waffle is done, about 5 minutes. This recipe fills my 3-waffle iron 4 times, making about 12 waffles, but your waffle iron may vary. You may or may not need to brush a little oil onto the waffle iron between batches; again, it will depend on your waffle iron.




Last year at this time I made Curried Devilled Eggs with Peas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management