Tuesday 5 May 2015

Ethakka Chakkakuru Mezhukkupuratti | Plantain Jackfruit Seed Stir Fry

For the final day of cooking Seasonal product, I have been cooking Jackfruit as the highlight. Apart from the fact that we simply love the juicy pods. There is no doubt about it. However just like Banana, each and every part of the jackfruit is used in cooking both in unripe and ripe form.

In Kerala, this fruit is known as the poor man's food as this fruit is so abundantly grown. And it finds itself through many forms and avatars. In our house though we have only eaten is as ripe fruit or cooked with the seeds. The chips that's made with the lobes covering the pods, are always bought.

Other than me, nobody likes the seeds. Atleast at parents place, my Dad and Brother never minded the seeds being added in sambar or curry. So Amma used to add them frequently. However I realized Hubby dear is not a great fan of this fruit and until the kids grew up enough to eat the fruit, we never bothered to get it as well.


These days all supermarket sells the fruit in convenient form. Just have to wash and eat. We realized that all three of them love this fruit and we get it frequently which means I end up with loads of seeds. This summer, Daddy got a huge fruit from his staff and the fruit as already ripe and it was so sweet. We parceled it to few of our friends and Daddy asked me to see how I can preserve the fruit. I knew I could do the payasam, halwa and jam. Even pancake was decided. Still I went ahead and asked my BM Buddies and they came up varati types that I had already planned.

Then I remembered my friends making gravies with unripe fruit and dry curries with seeds. I saw this recipe and thought it will be a great way to make a dry saute and since it was paired with raw plantain, I knew I will love it.

Plantain Jackfruit Seed Stir Fry
 
Ingredients Needed:

Raw Plantain - 1 cup
Jackfruit Seeds - 1 cup
Onion - 1/2 cup
curry leaves
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds, Urad dal - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder a pinch
Red Chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp


How to make the dry saute

Peel the outer skin of the seeds, pressure cook till soft.

In a pan, heat oil, temper with mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves.Then add chopped onions, saute well.

Now add the chopped plantain pieces, add salt and turmeric. cover with lid and cook till soft.

Add the drained chopped jackfruit seeds, combine, add spice powders and cover with lid.

You can sprinkle water to make it more soft.

Cook for 5 mins and remove

Serve with rice and sambar.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management