Tuesday 16 July 2013

Vegetable Spring Rolls | How to make Crispy Springs Rolls at home


We are starting the third week of BM # 30 and I am ready to roll, quite literally. For this week, I have decided to do dishes that are either rolled and cooked or simply rolled and served. There is a distinct beauty in seeing these dishes done and served. Though there are lots of dishes that can take up this avatar, there are some that are trademarks of being rolled.



One among them, would undoubtedly be the Spring Rolls. While spring roll goes a long way back, it is something I have never made it myself at home. I can say this has been on the list for a while. I have done similar dishes, though never with the Chinese flavors. Of course, this may not be the authentic chinese one, however this is what's served in our place and I am happy with it.


Many editions back, I had bought a packet of ready to make spring roll sheets. I had used them to make couple of dishes, though I think the outer layer didn't turn out as I expected. When I decided to make the Spring roll with ready made sheets, I wasn't prepared for the sheets to just give way. They simply refused to hold the filling and I was almost thinking I might have to give up.



Then I thought since I had so much stuffing made, I might as well make the outer layer myself. So I used the recipe I do for making frankies and the outer layer came out so well.



You need to use cold butter to rub in and just about rest for a while, and roll out. The layer comes out very crisp and thin as well. I even used tortilla bread to make the rolls, which Konda said tasted great. Well that's for another day of course.










































Spring Rolls



Ingredients Needed



Onions - 1 medium

Vegetables - 2 cups (Carrot, beans, Cabbage, Capsicum)

Salt to taste

Soy Sauce -1 tsp

Pepper powder -1 tsp



For the outer layer



All purpose flour - 1 cup

Cold butter -1 tsp

Salt



Oil for deep frying.



How to make the Spring Roll



For the outer layer,



Take the flour in a bowl, add the cold butter and rub into the flour. Add salt and slowly add water to knead to a soft dough. Let it rest for 10 mins



For the stuffing



Chop all the vegetables very finely. Heat a non stick pan with oil. Saute the onion first, then add all the vegetables.



Add salt and pepper and cook till the vegetables are almost done. Add soy sauce and combine everything together.



For making the Spring Roll



Dust the board well and pinch out a ball from the dough.



Roll out to a 6 inch disc. Place the stuffing towards one end, bring the end and cover over the stuffing.



Roll over and bring the sides together on top. Then roll over tightly, making sure all the sides are sealed properly.



Gently drop into hot oil and fry on all sides.



Drain on to a kitchen towel.




Notes:



Make sure the outer layer is rolled out thin and when folding the overlapping layer is not too thick, else it will not get cooked properly.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 30


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management